Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting keyboard French (AZERTY) to English UK (QWERTY) keyboard?

Hello

I was given a MacBook Pro 15 inch with touchbar for work but the keyboard is French (AZERTY). Is there any way of converting the keyboard to English UK (QWERTY)?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 10:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 6:42 AM

There are two parts you could mean by "convert".

MacOS has keyboard substitution tables built into it that can change your keyboard to many different layouts, all Romance languages and even non-Roman writing systems.

The other part is the graphics on the keys. If you are an experienced touch typist, just place a printed keyboard map somewhere near your computer.

If you hunt an peck, as I do, you may need to put some labels on the keys, or use a sharpie marker. If you suffer from too much money, you could pay Apple to change out the keyboard with one that has the keycaps you prefer.

French notebook:

User uploaded file

British Notebook:

User uploaded file

How to identify keyboard localizations - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 6:42 AM in response to mrel72

There are two parts you could mean by "convert".

MacOS has keyboard substitution tables built into it that can change your keyboard to many different layouts, all Romance languages and even non-Roman writing systems.

The other part is the graphics on the keys. If you are an experienced touch typist, just place a printed keyboard map somewhere near your computer.

If you hunt an peck, as I do, you may need to put some labels on the keys, or use a sharpie marker. If you suffer from too much money, you could pay Apple to change out the keyboard with one that has the keycaps you prefer.

French notebook:

User uploaded file

British Notebook:

User uploaded file

How to identify keyboard localizations - Apple Support

Dec 14, 2017 12:18 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for your reply.

I guess I need both parts of your suggestion: I need to switch from azerty to qwerty keyboard layout and also need to see the key labels as I am typing. I type a lot of text and I am used to qwerty layout, so the current azerty (especially the way to use numbers and punctuation marks) is seriously slowing me down.

When you say "pay apple to change out the keyboard" do you mean replace the physical keys?

Would you also have a suggestion on how to find the built in keyboard substitution tables and make the switch?

Thanks again for your help.

Converting keyboard French (AZERTY) to English UK (QWERTY) keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.