Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb to serial for Sierra

I need to know what is a good USB to serial adaptor that works with OSX 10.13. I am having a hard time finding anything that works. Need something out of the box that has drivers that work.

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 11:07 PM

3 replies

Dec 13, 2017 7:10 AM in response to John Galt

Good Day.

I will send the copy from my iMac USB system. The prolific is many years old, could not get it to work on my iMac when I tried using MacLoggerDX and cocoModem. That is when I researched and found FTDI recommended from other Amateurs. I have two FTDI devices, one a single unit and the other a dual port model, both work fine. Presently I am using these with parallels but the FT 231X worked fine with iMac osx. When I installed the 231X if I remember correctly the OSX recognized it and it did not need any drivers . I could be mistaken, too long ago for my memory, lol. I think amazon was where I got it and it was $15.00 for the single unit. I hope this helps as your posts have helped me many times.

Regards

Neil

User uploaded file

FT231X USB UART:

Dec 9, 2017 8:32 AM in response to j2sw

Good Day;

I use a few usb to serial devices for amateur radio, both on iMac and Parallels running under iMac. What I have found is stay away from any usb to serial that is based on "Prolific chipset" I did get one to work but could never get a second one to work at all.(I need 3) Use and look for usb to serial containing (FTDI) chipset. I have installed two and no problems at all. I am presently running Sierra, and have been using these for a couple of years and a couple of upgrades. Hope this helps

Dec 13, 2017 6:43 AM in response to Tuco09

Tuco09 wrote:

What I have found is stay away from any usb to serial that is based on "Prolific chipset" I did get one to work but could never get a second one to work at all.(I need 3) Use and look for usb to serial containing (FTDI) chipset. I have installed two and no problems at all.

May I ask which models you're using? I use two different Prolific USB to serial adapters. They work with High Sierra but their drivers are unsigned, which I expect to become unacceptable in the future.

usb to serial for Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.