Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X - Wifi dropping/disconnets when on 5 Ghz band

Okey, before anyone mentions any solutions, I’ve done all of it. Factory reset, latest iOS 11.2 and latest firmware on router, restart....etc.

Problem description: From day 1, I’ve been having issues with the iPhone X with the wifi at home when connected to the 5 Ghz band. My router is an ASUS RT-AC3200 and no changes has been made on the router. My iPhone 7, iPad Pro 10.5, my kids iPad’s...all working perfectly. I have tested to connect to the 2.4 Ghz band and there is the connection stable.

Tested also to set the bandwidth to only 80 Hz and on Auto (20/40/80 Hz), but there are no differences, issue remains.

iPhone X, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 2:57 AM

3 replies

Dec 9, 2017 4:15 AM in response to DjTaym

Since you have already done extensive testing the issue is most likely one of two things: an incompatibility of your iPhone X with the 5 Ghz band on this particular router or in general.

Perhaps the easiest way forward is to contact Asus support and ask whether the router is certified to be compatible with the iPhone X on the 5 Ghz band. If it is Asus should be able to help you resolve the issue.

Dec 9, 2017 5:56 AM in response to madra31

Yes, I've already raised a ticket at ASUS Support, although I don't think it's the router as its very seldom an issue like this is due to the router. Besides...the iPhone 8 and iPhone X shares the same hardware when it comes to the connectivity and my wife's iPhone 8 works normally when connected to the same SSID.

In my case, I have two issues with my iPhone X

1. Wifi connection with 5 Ghz

2. Bluetooth problems with my car

Both related to connectivity

Hope the engineers are able to solve this as soon as possible

Dec 11, 2017 11:34 AM in response to DjTaym

Update - 12 dec

I've tested everything, but what seems to have solved it (not sure if I should call it "solved, but at least an improvement") was that I disabled the data connection (3G/4G) so that I only ran on WiFi. Tested some Speedtests apps and and enabled data connection again. Now I'm getter better WiFi connection and the speed is what I'm used with; around 70-90 mbit/sec

iPhone X - Wifi dropping/disconnets when on 5 Ghz band

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.