Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System extension blocked

I have a problem for many apps with High Sierra: vmware, astrill, logitech, etc. that cannot open cause many System extension blocked pop-up. I read about it but I don't have the ALLOW option in Security system preferences. See attached picture. How to solve this ?

Thanks

User uploaded file

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 12:39 AM

10 replies

Dec 9, 2017 6:22 AM in response to ebernetPhD

That setting has nothing to do with blocking extensions, and setting it is completely unnecessary as you can just control-click on an installer and select Open to bypass Gatekeeper's restrictions.

Try reinstalling the software and try enabling it again when you get the blocked message. You have 30 minutes to approve the kext. If you fail to approve it in that amount of time, the blocked message will reappear, but you won't be able to approve it. You'll have to reinstall the software to reset the 30 min timer.

Dec 9, 2017 6:34 PM in response to ebernetPhD

The last part of the link is where I found the info on the time limit. You only have 30 minutes to approve. If you don't it won't show the option. It may be that reinstalling isn't enough to trigger the new timeout.

You could use the spctl command to either manually add those items to the allowed list, or disable it completely.

spctl help

will show you how to use the command. The kext-consent commands need to be run from Recovery.

I don't know the format of the team id which is needed to allow the kexts.

Dec 10, 2017 7:01 AM in response to ebernetPhD

No, I can't help beyond how to use the command beyond what the help file describes.

As indicated, the spctl kext-consent command needs an Action argument. They are listed below the command.

For example, spctl kext-consent status will show you whether the consent is enabled or not.

Terminal is an option in the Utilities menu on the Recovery main screen.

The Tech Note I linked before explains where the Team ID comes from, but doesn't give an example of how the two parts are combined.

System extension blocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.