Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searching for Special Characters

I have a number of duplicate photos. They are identifiable in that the filename ends in "_2.jpg"

However, the Smart Album condition Filename ends with _2.jpg returns all photos ending in "2.jpg" too.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:09 PM

Photos seems to be treating the underscore character as a catch all for any character, so we cannot search for it in a smart album.

You will have to exclude all Characters, that you do not want to precede the "2.jpg"

Like this: User uploaded file

and so on 😢

12 replies

Dec 12, 2017 9:35 AM in response to Apple Iceman

However, it really is strange that characters typically generated as filenames can't be searched for.

It is confusing and annoying.

Consider to send feedback to Apple; it looks like a bug. we should be able to search for "_", and having wild cards for the search, for example regular expressions, would be a great improvement.

The feedback form is here: Feedback - Photos - Apple

Dec 9, 2017 10:02 AM in response to balsa2

But wants to find only the images with filenames ending in "_1.jpg", excluding the filename ending in " 1.jpg", "-1.jpg", "01.jpg", etc.

Your screenshot is showing 2850 matches, I suspect many of the matches included filenames ending in" 1.jpg", "-1.jpg", "01.jpg" or similar. The problem is to ensure that the second but lastt character in the filename will be "_", but I could not find a way to escape the "_", like it is possible in shell commands, for example with a "\".

Searching for Special Characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.