Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've created mailbox rules but my old messages aren't moving to the mailboxes. Help! When will this happen?

I would just like to know when the messages will move. I've got over 3K and it's driving me nuts!!!

iMac, iOS 10.3.3, iOS 10.13.1

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 4:24 AM

2 replies

Dec 11, 2017 9:17 PM in response to lesliepetosa

The rules are for incoming messages (see the bold last sentence) - where are these "old" emails? If they are already in a certain folder, they will not move unless you do it. From the Apple Mail Help menu:

Move or copy messages

You can move or copy messages between mailboxes or folders.

Open Mail for me

• Move messages: Drag one or more messages to a mailbox in the Favorites bar or the Mail sidebar. You can also Control-click a message, choose Move To, then choose a mailbox (or use the Touch Bar).Based on your history of moving messages in Mail, the likely target mailbox can be predicted for a selected message (macOS Sierra 10.12.1 or later). For example, if you move messages from a certain person to a Travel mailbox, the command Move to “Travel” is available for other messages from that person. If a mailbox can’t be predicted, Message > Move to Predicted Mailbox is dimmed.
  • Copy messages: Press and hold the Option key when you drag messages to another mailbox. Or Control-click a message, choose Copy To, then choose a mailbox.

If you have an IMAP account and are unable to move messages, it’s possible the messages contain invalid characters (typically added by a mail server) or are too large, or you exceeded the storage limits set by your email account provider.

You can use rules to automatically move certain incoming messages to specific mailboxes.

I've created mailbox rules but my old messages aren't moving to the mailboxes. Help! When will this happen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.