Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Pinwheeling

I recently upgraded to 10.13.2 from 10.12.6. I've noticed some things are fixed but I've been having a real issue with finder in that it will often pinwheel. I noticed this the other day when I was connected to a PC on my network via SMB and I was just renaming some files on it. It started pinwheeling to the point where I had to manually turn the computer off and boot it back up. Just now I decoded some flac files to wav with a program I've used for years called xAct. I watched it decode the files but they weren't there. So I did a search and I was able to find them, shown in the directory within the search but the decoded wav files don't show in the actual folder which is completely odd. Then I created a folder on my desktop to try decoding to there and then finder started pinwheeling. Has anyone had any similar finder problems or know how to remedy them?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), null

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 5:50 AM

38 replies

Dec 9, 2017 7:48 AM in response to drawtheline

I would suggest only forcing power down as an absolute last resort - Give it some time before you do that.

I would log as a fast switch into another user account, and I would also boot into safe boot and come back to your user account. If things still slow, Before you load any sync and other items up, play around with a single app here and there opening and closing, going through their menus and just kicking tires as you would at the Apple store. I'd go to spotlight and play with it until it loads faster. I'd open finder and go through various directories like your applications, documents, etc. stay in there until the icons load quick. Then slowly bring your full load back on, one app at a time. An app like FaceTime may not seem like it will load, and it could even crash - tap send the report and reopen, eventually it should even if it hangs, open, and still give it time - then slowly work up to putting it through it's paces.

Dec 10, 2017 12:40 PM in response to drawtheline

I have similar a problem after upgrading to version 10.13.2. If I connect to Windows through SMB, it works for a moment and then it totally crashes Finder (pinwheel) and also code editors like VS Code. Even if I force quit apps and Finder, they can't be opened again. Only fix is to manually turn off the computer and turn it on again. Really annoying bug, that was introduced in the latest release and makes working really annoying.

Dec 12, 2017 12:26 PM in response to drawtheline

I have a client with a mac mini that I reformatted and installed 10.13.2 on and it was fine but when the user tries to move folders on the SMB server the finder will pinwheel and crash. The only way get out out of the issues is to press and hold the power button. The user can copy folders from the server to the desktop without issue then copy them back to the server that seems to work. The issue is when moving the folder on the server to a new location on the server (sometimes just renaming the folder) will cause the pinwheel and crash of the finder... Help!!!

Dec 12, 2017 10:43 PM in response to ispal

Same issue. I do not use drop box either.

The finder freezes after I access the network after 4 to 6 times.

The Finder shows the spinning beach ball and it shows as “Not Responding”. I can access any other app that was already running. I have force quitting Finder (sometimes when trying to access the Apple menu, it will freeze) .

I have to hold the power button until the iMac switches off, I then reboot the the iMac to get to work again.

The network files are on a Windows 10 machine. I am connecting via smb://192.168.1.102.

This only occurred after upgrading to macOS 10.13.2 (17C88).

Dec 13, 2017 8:49 AM in response to brenton_s

Try Box Sync from Box.com

I actually liked them better before they changed things around - but have only had one time I couldn't access my files and a couple hiccups which once fixed have never had any issues.... and they work good via phone uploads... there are occasional file name problems you have to be careful of but they tend to im my experience be very very long.

Dec 14, 2017 10:13 PM in response to drawtheline

I also had this problem and after some searching I found a solution that worked for me. Resetting the PRAM/NVRAM is what worked for me. I have no idea if this will work for anyone else but it did for me on 2 different Macs.

Instruction on how to do that straight off the apple page...

How to reset NVRAM

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately hold down these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. Keep holding the keys for about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart. (If you have a Mac that plays a startup sound when you turn it on, you can release the keys after the second startup sound.)

Option+Command+P+R

When your Mac finishes starting up, you might want to open System Preferences and adjust any settings that were reset, such as sound volume, display resolution, startup disk selection, or time zone.

If your Mac is using a firmware password, this key combination causes your Mac to start up from macOS Recovery instead. Turn off the firmware password before resetting NVRAM.

Hope this helps.

Dec 16, 2017 6:33 AM in response to TimeMachine2014

Just tried the whole resetting the PRAM/NVRAM and it actually did nothing. Finder is now still hanging on deleting items. I'll have to hard reset it again. Also resetting the PRAM/NVRAM also did away with my manual installation of the updated CUDA drivers for 10.13.2 so now it's asking me for updates on every reboot... again. I sure hope 10.13.3 fixes all this otherwise I'm just going to downgrade back to 10.12.

Jan 5, 2018 11:35 AM in response to drawtheline

Experiencing same issue with the Finder after installing OS 10.13.2 on a Mac Mini. Attempts to move files between folders or to trash causes the Finder to hangup and pinwheel.

I have also tried resetting the PRAM/NVRAM, Disk First Aid, and even deleted the following file: /Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist and restarted the Mac

Problem continues to reoccur.

Jan 5, 2018 12:09 PM in response to Costa7

To prevent the pinwheel for now,

when you delete and there is no recovery from this action.

Click on file or folder to delete so it's grayed/highlighted.

Click Option Command Delete together,

a window prompt will come up, when you verify, the file will be permanently gone.

Have you BOOTED into safe mode? Holding SHIFT right as the chime sounds, holding until you see apple?

Also, when you flush pram - often times you have to do it for 3-4 chimes continuously for it to fix some issues.

You can also look into force quitting finder...

Also, I'd check to see if your computer is indexing... you can check that out in the spotlight, enter term, and as things load scroll up to see if the progress bar is activated.

Jan 9, 2018 10:29 AM in response to drawtheline

This is now happening on two of our MacBook Pros. Both are connecting via SMB to a Windows server. Upon changing file names, moving files, or just clicking on files, Finder Pinwheels and we are forced to do a hard reboot using the power button.

I opened a support case with Apple, we did a ton of troubleshooting (SMC and NVRAM Resets) and then I took it into the Apple Store. Apple reported that there was a kernel issue in a system board. The Mac was sent out for repair. The system board was replaced. The problem popped back up again immediately after reinstalling all the software and putting the system back to work.

Really getting frustrated at this point, as I have 5 Graphic Designers working on this Windows Server and they are all experiencing either SMB connection loss OR constant Pinwheeling. Are there any other suggestions from Apple at this point???

Finder Pinwheeling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.