Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i block video downloads in safari

I'm on a data cap (satellite connection) and frequently exceed my allotment. With the new OS videos auto download. I just read one news story with 3 pictures and PeakHour shows 20MB of data used. Prior to High Sierra I was using <100MB/day unless I did some updating. Since High Sierra I'm using 200-300MB/day with no "extra" downloading. When my wife goes on facebook it goes to 500+MB/day. How can I block large downloading?

Thanks

Geoff

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), iMac late '09

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 6:16 AM

2 replies

Dec 9, 2017 9:16 AM in response to Geoff K

Stop Autoplay videos

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/stop-autoplay-videos-ibrw29c6ecf8/mac

This should stop autoplay, but I am not sure whether this will stop auto download.

Safari > Preferences > General > File download location:

Choose "Ask for each download"

File won't download until you specify a location.

This is a workaround, but not a solution.

User uploaded file

Dec 9, 2017 11:07 AM in response to dominic23

Thanks Dominic, I'll try that. It seems though, based on the wording of the commands, it won't work. It appears that's for requested downloads? It's the mini videos that come automatically with a news page that I'm trying to avoid. They do not auto-play but auto-download when I go to the page and wait for me to ask them to be played. i.e. lots of downloading I don't need.

Geoff

how do i block video downloads in safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.