Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash deleting items immediately

As of upgrading to OS High Sierra, my trash folder deletes files immediately. Dragging files to the trash folder prompts the message "Are you sure you want to delete "File_name"? This file will be deleted immediately". Deleting files with cmd-delete brings the same result. My Trash is thus unusable as nothing gets stored in it.

How can I stop my computer from bypassing Trash and deleting things immediately?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 5:23 AM

7 replies

Dec 9, 2017 5:42 AM in response to Isopotonic

Choose your Home folder "Get Info" (command-i) and be sure you have "read & write" in the Sharing & Permissions section. Check under "General" section to be sure it isn't locked. If that is correct, launch Applications/Utilities/Terminal and at the prompt copy & paste this command…

mkdir ~/.Trash

If you get a message that the folder already exists, copy & paste these commands...

sudo chown $UID ~/.Trash

Press return Enter your admin password (it will be invisible) Press return.Then enter

chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash

Press return. Log out and back in, or restart.

Trash deleting items immediately

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.