Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPads > videos > storage question

I am giving my 12 year old a starter camcorder. I know nothing about the editing or storing of videos. She will have access to the family 16GB iPad Air 2 to edit her videos. I know that videos eat up a lot of storage space. What are the storage options for videos created in iOS 10 or 11? Can they simply be exported to an external SSD, for example? Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 8:09 AM

Hi. iOS apps, including video editors, can only process files in local storage on the device. You can get Lightning memory sticks and WiFi disk drives for external storage, but they can only be used for file transfer. Would you consider a budget Windows PC for this?

5 replies

Dec 10, 2017 9:10 AM in response to bookmanjb

Yes, you can get drives that connect to the iPad by WiFi. You can copy videos to them. They come with apps that should allow playing videos direct from the drive. But editing on the drive will not be possible. This is constraint of the iOS design, which recognizes only the filesystem on the local storage. This differs from a computer which can attach multiple drives, and treat them all equally.

iPads > videos > storage question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.