Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos crashes from extensions

Purchased Affinity photo and problem:

Running High Sierra current version, Affinity version 6.6.1. 'Edit with' function in Photos brings up the image in Affinity. If I try to 'save', system crashes. If I flatten then 'save' nothing happens, and image is not returned to Photos. Notice 'flatten' option in 'documents' is not greyed out after 'saved'. No response on Affinity Forum.

Tried posting to Photos for Mac...keeps bring me back to Mac OS...?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 9:13 AM

14 replies

Dec 12, 2017 6:12 AM in response to PaulD_

My 'Edit with' is greyed out when PHOTOS is in 'edit' mode. I have to be in image mode.

Did you activate the Affinity photo editing extensions?

When I am in Edit Mode and click the ••• button, I can use the "Edit in Affinity Photo" extension, that will open the photo in the full version of Affinity. It should look like this:

User uploaded file

But mostly I prefer to go directly to the specific extensions, like "Affinity Retouch" or "Affinity Haze removal". Then I do not have to deal with the different personae. I find the necessity to switch between personae cumbersome.

If you do not see the Affinity extensions at all, click the "More ..." item at the bottom of this panel to add Affinity to the extensions.

Dec 12, 2017 7:46 AM in response to PaulD_

Contrary to DXO procedure, which I can call from image>right click? I don't see DXO on drop down from Photos (circle dots) edit with...?

I purchased the DxO Optics Pro for Photos extension separately, not the full full application.

For applications, that refuse to appear in the "Image > Edit with.. "menu or do not work well, I use the External Editors extension (the item no. 13 in my screenshot). This will usually work, if the external editors do not work properly and do not save the changes back. It offers a backdoor - "replace original", where I can simply select the file, that has been saved to the Desktop and replace the edited version in Photos by this saved file.

Dec 9, 2017 10:37 AM in response to PaulD_

Tried posting to Photos for Mac...keeps bring me back to Mac OS...?

The Photos for Mac forum is a subform of MacOS X, because Photos is installed as part of MacOS X.

Affinity is not crashing for me, when I try to "Edit with", but I don't see any result returned either.

The editing extensions are still working for me on macOS 10.13.2.

Dec 9, 2017 10:51 AM in response to PaulD_

I've always used "DXO Perspective" by calling it from the External Editors extension and then using the "Replace original" to save the edited version to Photos.

I have not yet tested in Photos, if it is now working directly. I'll try it and post back. I switched to Luminar for external edits, and that has a very versatile perspective correction.

Dec 12, 2017 2:23 AM in response to PaulD_

Since I have the problem on both apps, wondering if its my iMac?

I think it is an Affinity problem. I am Affinity does return the edited photo for me, if I call Affinity from Photos in Edit mode, using the "Edit with Affinity" photo editing extension, but not, if I call Affinity from the Image menu in Photos.

Dec 12, 2017 7:11 AM in response to léonie

OK. Think I found problem. I have been calling Affinity by right clicking on image and selecting 'Edit with'. Your call from 'Photos' works if I close Affinity image after 'saving', and then click 'save image' in Photos.

Contrary to DXO procedure, which I can call from image>right click? I don't see DXO on drop down from Photos (circle dots) edit with...?

Dec 12, 2017 9:40 AM in response to PaulD_

Check in the System preferences > Extensions panel, which extensions are installed on your Mac.

You may need to update DXO , if it did not install the extension. Or invest 99cents to purchase "External Editors" from the App Store, It had been removed for a short time, after High Sierra came out, but currently it is back at the AppStore. It is a great work-around to get Affinity to launch and other apps, that are having problems with High Sierra,

Dec 12, 2017 12:28 PM in response to léonie

OK. That's it. Thanks for taking me thru this. Wouldn't have figured it out on my own. Must say, disappointed in Apple Photo...High Sierra. I think I understand the workarounds now... if app were more stable, wouldn't have them. Affinity and DXO both just quit. Closed out PHOTOS and both apps, and reopened. OK now!

Dec 12, 2017 3:58 PM in response to PaulD_

if app were more stable, wouldn't have them.

It is not Photos that is unstable - it is the third party software that need to be updated to meed High Sierra specifications - Photos works very well and extensions that are updated to HS specs work well - nothing Apple cn do about third party vendors who do not keep their software up to date as Apple updates software

LN

photos crashes from extensions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.