Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why was the App tools removed from this version of iTunes?

Why was the App tools removed from this version of iTunes? I use to think Apple was a leader in innovation, but it seams the products are falling behind the competition and the tools are being stripped down rather than improved.

Another issue is I cannot run iTunes on my new PC because it says I have reached my limit of 5. I cannot find any way to see which PCs are authorized and how to remove them if they are no longer used. The only post I have found is you must log in using the authorized PC and de-authorize it. Someone explain to me how you do this if the PC has died and/or can no longer use it? I did see something else that indicated I can delete all of my authorized PCs, but haven't found the tool to do it. It makes no sense to do this in my opinion. Who cares how many PCs are authorized. You require a mutli-step process to authorize them so what is the risk?

Bottom line is I am near the end for using Apple products even though I currently own 6 devices. I am a computer engineer. I it is hard for me to figure out how to use your very restrictive and limited tools. It is my guess the average person will find it impossible.

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 6:15 PM

First, as stated in:

Changes in the new iTunes - Apple Support

the new iTunes focuses on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks. I am not affiliated with Apple, but I assume at least part of the rationale for doing this was that it was perceived that iTunes was too bloated and to make iTunes simpler to use.

Second, see the "If you run out of authorizations" section in:

Authorize your computer in iTunes - Apple Support

where it says: If you've sold or given away a computer that used one of your 5 authorizations, you'll need to deauthorize all of your computers and then re-authorize each one that you still use. This article explains exactly how to do that:

Deauthorize your computer using iTunes - Apple Support

Third, this is a user-to-user forum.. No one here (with VERY limited exceptions) works for Apple. If you woulkd like to express your opinions to Apple, try this link:

Product Feedback - Apple

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 6:15 PM in response to buddbyboy3

First, as stated in:

Changes in the new iTunes - Apple Support

the new iTunes focuses on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks. I am not affiliated with Apple, but I assume at least part of the rationale for doing this was that it was perceived that iTunes was too bloated and to make iTunes simpler to use.

Second, see the "If you run out of authorizations" section in:

Authorize your computer in iTunes - Apple Support

where it says: If you've sold or given away a computer that used one of your 5 authorizations, you'll need to deauthorize all of your computers and then re-authorize each one that you still use. This article explains exactly how to do that:

Deauthorize your computer using iTunes - Apple Support

Third, this is a user-to-user forum.. No one here (with VERY limited exceptions) works for Apple. If you woulkd like to express your opinions to Apple, try this link:

Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 12, 2017 4:54 AM in response to buddbyboy3

buddbyboy3 wrote:

One last question, why does it take 1-2 minutes sometime for iTunes to open? Every other program on this PC opens almost instantly, but the Apple software takes minutes to open. Must still have issues with Mr. Gates.

If iTunes is apparently installed correctly try the following in turn until iTunes opens/closes/reopens normally:

• Remove any SD card that might be in a card reader.
  • Exit the BTTray.exe Bluetooth utility if installed.
  • Locate the shortcut for iTunes, right-click on it, and select Run as administrator. Doing this once may fix certain launch issues. Some users were finding that with the 12.6.1.25 build they had to use this method every time and modified the shortcut accordingly.
  • Try holding ctrl+shift as you launch iTunes so it opens in safe-mode. Again doing this once may sometimes help.
  • Try disconnecting your computer from the Internet before running iTunes.
  • Delete the iTunes shortcuts from the start menu, desktop, task bar, or similar, then repair iTunes from the programs and features control panel.
  • Try Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support and test the behaviour in a different user profile or with a different library. If the problem only exists in your profile it may be possible delete some of the iTunes preference files which it would seem that iTunes may be choking on. We can go into details later if the issue is limited to your own profile.
  • Temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus and see if that has any impact on the behaviour.
  • See the second box in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for detailed tear down and rebuild advice. Disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus software when reinstalling and run the installer as the administrator.
  • Or see the iTunes installers section of the troubleshooting tip and reinstall the last version that worked correctly for you.

tt2

Dec 12, 2017 4:51 AM in response to buddbyboy3

See Managing apps with iTunes 12.7 or later. Reverting to iTunes 12.6.3 is an option if you really need to be able to manage apps through your computer.

Authorization vs. association

Up to 5 computers can be simultaneously authorized for each Apple ID. There is no direct record of which machines are authorized. It is up to you to keep track. iPods & iOS devices are limited to DRM protected content from up to 5 different accounts. There is no limit to the number of devices that you can load up with content using iTunes. You can deauthorize computers that you no longer wish to use to access protected content so that you can authorize others. You either do this on the specific machine or deauthorize all and then reauthorize as needed. Having used deathorize all you cannot use it again for a year, though Apple Support may be able to perform a reset if you can explain why you need to use the feature again before it becomes available to you. Reinstalling Windows without deauthorizing first will use up an authorization.

HT201251: Authorize your computer in iTunes - Apple Support

A mix of up to 10 computers and iOS devices (no more than 5 computers) can be associated with your Apple ID for iTunes Match/Apple Music, automatic downloads, or redownloads of past purchases. There is a 90 day limit before a computer or device can be switched to another ID or the association removed. The list of associated devices is the one you can see within your account details in iTunes. You associate a device or computer by using certain features, typically downloading past purchases. You don't necessarily need to associate a computer or device with your Apple ID to use it with your content. Again Apple Support may be able to reset if you can explain why you need to reset the association early.

HT204074: View and remove your associated devices in iTunes - Apple Support

You can happily remove any and all associations that are not within the 90 day limit. Those that you actually use will be recreated as and when you make use of a service that triggers association.

tt2

Dec 11, 2017 6:13 PM in response to javaliga

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I had already found the references you identified, but very good summary.

I was not aware this was a user only community. Found this under Apple support and assumed Apple would be replying. I will use the feed back link you included and post my comments there, but realize I am probably wasting my time. Just venting some frustration with the poor design of the software tools provided by apple to maintain my very expensive devices.

Dec 11, 2017 6:30 PM in response to javaliga

Forgot one other point to make. The method used to deactivate all authorized devices requires iTunes on a authorized PC. If you don't have access to any of the other PCs that were activated previously you are locked out.

Had a similar problem with a relative who's iPad locked up in the middle of a version upgrade. Had to use iTunes to restore the OS and found out she didn't know the pin she setup. Had to make several calls to Apple and jump through several hoops to get it unlocked so she could use it again. Ridiculous!

One last question, why does it take 1-2 minutes sometime for iTunes to open? Every other program on this PC opens almost instantly, but the Apple software takes minutes to open. Must still have issues with Mr. Gates.

Why was the App tools removed from this version of iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.