Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos storage

Hi, I was hoping someone can please tell me what to do to my photos library. I have over 1TB left of storage in my I cloud, all of the pictures are in the I cloud when I open icloud.com - Do I delete the photos on my MacBook since they are also in the I cloud so that I can free up space on my computer? I can no longer upload photos that I have taken on my Camera because I get an error message that there is not enough storage in PHOTOS - Please help!!!

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 8:51 AM

2 replies

Dec 9, 2017 9:04 AM in response to Tniz

iCloud Photo Library is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photo Library is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to that iCloud Photo Library. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

You may want to consider using a large external drive for Photos on your Mac.

Dec 9, 2017 9:07 AM in response to Tniz

NO!!!!!

I assume (you give us no details) that you are using iCloud Photo Library - when you make any changes (additions, deletions or edits) on any connected device those changes are made on all devices - that is the entire purpose of ICPL

For devices with limited storage you use optimized photos

LN

Photos storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.