Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot reset QuickType suggestions

Hi.

I'm having trouble with QuickType suggesting a particular word, which isn't removed when I go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

The word in question is the (unusual) name of an Airbnb host I contacted a few times several months ago. I never saved her name in my contacts.

When I go through the Keyboard Dictionary reset procedure above, and then open an app where I can type, the predictions appear be reset. But after waiting 30 seconds, re-opening the app, and then typing again, the string returns: the middle suggestion is 'Hi'; once I click on that, the host's name appears again as one of the three suggestions. It clearly is remembering the string 'Hi [name of host]'.

I never messaged this lady from my iPad, but the suggestion comes up there too - so it must be syncing through my Apple ID.

I'm not bothered about the name itself appearing in my suggestions, but it does trouble me that there is no way of resetting it and telling iOS to forget the suggestion. It's especially weird that the reset procedure has some effect at first - before iOS goes back to making the suggestion.

Is this a bug? And is there another way I can reset the predictions that QuickType makes?

Thank you very much.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 4:59 AM

OK, I think I've worked out what's going on:

You have to turn off Siri. When the suggestion came back shortly after resetting my keyboard (but not immediately), it looks as though the phone was reloading typing suggestions based on Siri, via iCloud. Keeping the phone on Airplane mode stopped the suggestion from appearing, and after resetting Siri the QuickType suggestions are back to 'normal'.

Hope that helps for anyone else with a similar question.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2017 4:59 AM in response to JH_UK

OK, I think I've worked out what's going on:

You have to turn off Siri. When the suggestion came back shortly after resetting my keyboard (but not immediately), it looks as though the phone was reloading typing suggestions based on Siri, via iCloud. Keeping the phone on Airplane mode stopped the suggestion from appearing, and after resetting Siri the QuickType suggestions are back to 'normal'.

Hope that helps for anyone else with a similar question.

Cannot reset QuickType suggestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.