Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant update in iCloud

I just found out that my husband's cell phone hasn't been updated for over 11 months now. I just tried to manually update it 2 times now but both times it reads 23+ hours left for the update so he had me cancel the update. Is it possible that Apple might have stopped his ability to access iCloud for a backup now since it's not been backed up for over 180 days? There is next to nothing on his cell phone to backup so I know that cannot be the problem. I thought I'd ask here to possibly gain some insight before actually trying to contact Apple Support directly. I'd appreciate any input that you might have. Thx.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 8:44 AM

6 replies

Dec 9, 2017 12:23 PM in response to Eric Root

We tried a backup twice...a couple days apart...but each time, while the backup was in progress, it showed 20-23+ hours left and it was then that my husband got impatient and stopped the back up process. I was curious as to why it was taking so long to do a backup...the wifi was fully operational....the cell was plugged into power.....his cell was locked...plus he has next to nothing to even be backed up.

Again, his cell phone shows the last time a back up was done was 1-17-17..well over 180 days (which gives Apple the ability to stop iCloud backups on his device- to which I'm not sure was actually done or not). I wished I would have checked up to make sure backups were being done...but I trusted my husband knew at least that much. I was wrong. LOL So I tried contacting Apple...but to get through to them on the phone or online or chat was sooooo terribly long a wait that I just gave up on that too. :-( (Is a wait time of 45-60 min an average wait time for Apple Support?)

I just got a new desktop too..and I'm still learning how to maneuver around on it...so right now...I have to find out how I can access my husband's iCloud account online as a "guest" on this new computer. If there's another way or a different, better way to check on my husband's iCloud, I'd appreciate that info as well. :-)

Anyway, its been a big challenge to say the least. Honestly, could this be a problem with iCloud alone?...or could there be a problem with his cell's software program possibly a glitch from a previous update or possibly something else I know nothing of? I'm sure Apple would know...but getting a hold of them is another problem LOL

My husband knows nothing when it comes to today's technology (and does not want to know either) so I'm on my own trying to figure things out. LOL We are retired and I've got the time...so I'm trying to learn as I go....slowly but surely.

Anyway...I appreciate your help...any and all help...that I can get, so thx much for your response. :-)

cant update in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.