Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone syncs as "Apple iPhone" instead of "John's iPhone"

So mainly this problem showed up after I updated both my iTunes and my iPhone, so the problem could be with either. Or neither. The update was just my guess.

For example, if my name is John, when I plug in my phone to my computer, it should show up as "John's iPhone" and the sync starts.

Now, it shows up as "Apple iPhone" and my iPhone has to manually ask me if I allow the computer to access my photos and videos through clicking into the drive. And the sync doesn't start at all - because iTunes doesn't seem to be able to detect it. The phone logo doesn't appear where you can click to manage stuff on your iPhone.

I've had this issue before and was able to solve it but really can't remember how now.

I've tried reinstalling my iTunes as well as rebooting my iPhone and computer.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with my iPhone or iTunes either.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2, null

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 9:48 AM

Seemed to have fixed this issue.

I reinstalled iTunes more cleanly this time, removing also the Apple Mobile Device Support from the Control Panel as well, seeing as that may be what was faulty.

It worked, my iPhone has to retrust my iTunes, but I guess it worked.

1 reply

iPhone syncs as "Apple iPhone" instead of "John's iPhone"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.