Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disgusted with Apples's taking charge of my acount

I deal a lot with security and IA. For reasons I do not appreciate, Apple has decided we as owners of our own behaviors no longer have the right to access our own passwords. Yes it is nice to have someone looking out for you but actually controlling you is something else again. If apple would empower the individual to do what is needed in a "user friendly" manner then I would have no problem. However, they treat us like mushrooms and keep us in the dark in their unjustified attempt to "protect us." Let's find a way to push Apple to recognize each user.

thank you

p

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 8:44 AM

4 replies

Dec 9, 2017 9:22 AM in response to pchat

What is preventing you from accessing your password?

Can you reset your password here?

Apple ID - Manage

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Click here to send Feedback

Mar 17, 2018 5:57 AM in response to pchat

So I can verify my apple PW and then put it into the proper slot in Outlook for the Mac and it does not take. It keeps wanting me to enter something different.

Are you using an app specific password? As of June 2017, you must generate and use an app specific password for Outlook/Eudora to access any iCloud data.

See >> Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

This will require either Apple's 2 Step Verification or 2 Factor Authentication on the Apple ID.

Dec 9, 2017 9:50 AM in response to pchat

You have every opportunity to manage your own passwords . Right on your Mac you have an immensely powerful password and certificate manager called Keychain -it been there since the dawn of Mac OS !

As for the two step authenication process all it does is provide a random code number as an extra layer of protection so YOU can unlock your Apple device using passwords stored in Keychain or in your aluminium (protected from aliens) note book !

For someone professing to know about IT security it would help if you understood the way iOS MacOS and keychain actually work !

The remote keychain sync process is also hex coded for added security.

If you do fail to remember your Apple ID and call the help lines they can ask you for your set of security questions and once accessed they reset your account . You then have to reset your passwords on your machine.

Apple are far less intrusive than say Google or Amazon by a long way - never am I having one of their little spies in my house !

Dec 9, 2017 12:01 PM in response to Keith Doherty3

I appreciate your trying to deal with my issue. However this does not answer it. I seem to have a different email/password for iCloud than for .me and .mac. I also use Outlook since Apple does not allow me to manage my email as easily as does MS Outlook. In addition my work colleague who almost all use outlook send calendar invites to important meeting that are a MUST ATTEND from their outlook account. All of this explanation is to say that apple mail is not compatible with outlook calendar events originated on a PC. Now Eudora was great but for some reason this went away.

So I can verify my apple PW and then put it into the proper slot in Outlook for the Mac and it does not take. It keeps wanting me to enter something different. So thinking I used the wrong PW I went to keychain. Sorry it does not work except in a hex manner. I have 6 different email accounts to access via Outlook. All work except .me.com.

Disgusted with Apples's taking charge of my acount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.