Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading iPhone photo's to iMac

The OCD part of me likes to keep all my photo's organised on my iMac. We all know the issues of the poor among us who only have a 16Gb iPhone and the dreaded 'storage almost full' when trying to take photo's. I used to regularly plug my phone into my iMac and download all the pictures, and filter them into relevant albums. Since I clicked "optimise storage" I haven't had to do that for ages. Fantastic. I can take as many pictures of my cat as I like. But now I have some free time I've plugged my phone into the iMac and opened photo's. In the "My Name iPhone" tab it's only giving me the option to import 17 new photo's. A few from today and the rest are from months ago. There's also nothing in"My Photo Stream" (However the photo's have made their way to my iPad.)

So after doing some googling I found out that I haven't selected iCloud Photo Library on my iMac. I have however, selected My Photo Stream in the same menu. So I click it and it tells me that the free 5GB is not enough. I need to pay for 50Gb to back up my entire photo library. I don't want to do this. I have my photo's backed up on an external hard drive so I do not need them also backed up in the cloud.

So. How do I get my photo's out of the iCloud and onto my iMac? I have tried using iCloud.com but after passing the two step identification it's telling me I also need to verify the email address that I use for Apple (the very one I've used since the first iPhone) and I'm currently 3 hours into the wait period for an email with a six digit verification code. I have checked my junk folder regularly too. What am I doing wrong that is preventing my photo stream on the iMac from working?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 9:15 AM

1 reply

Dec 9, 2017 9:52 AM in response to Graeme1981

1 - iCloud is not a backup for your photos or you mac - it is a syncing service and is not a backup service

2 - if you use iCloud Photo Library on y0our IOS device then you can not manually import from it - you have to use it on your Mac too

3 - if you use iCloud Photo Library then you use it and all photos on all connected devices are synced and all originals are on iCLoud and you have to purchase adaquate iCLoud storage to do that

4 - I use ICPL so have no experience with other methods of importing but I know that some people use MyPhotoStream along with ICPL to transfer photos - that does not optimize photos on your IOS device but it does transfer them so you can then delete them form the IOS device

5 - MyPhotoStream does not use iCloud storage and you can not use it to stream photos form iCloud to your Mac - it only streams between IOS devices adn your Mac

6 - if yu do not receive the verification code check your settings and send it again

LN

Downloading iPhone photo's to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.