Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unrecognized icon in Finder Shared files

There is a shared network showing in Finder in my Shared folders. It has a strange name, and I don't recognize it. When I click on it, it says connection failed (I think that's good!). What I can't figure out is how to remove it. I don't get a remove option by right clicking on it. I've search for help online and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Here are two screen captures of what I'm seeing. Questions are (1) is this concerning, and (2) how can I remove it?

Thank you in advance for any help!
Sandy

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 3:43 PM

SMB is the protocoll (language) used by windows pcs to talk to each other (network)

Somewhere close by there is a PC on your network or at least being seen by your router and the fact you can’t sign in is a good sign. The PC probably can’t see your Mac at all !

To turn Windows sharing OFF .

Click on the apple menu in the task bar then system preferences then sharing then click on file sharing then in the top right hand window turn Windows sharing OFF

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2017 3:43 PM in response to Treefrogcreative

SMB is the protocoll (language) used by windows pcs to talk to each other (network)

Somewhere close by there is a PC on your network or at least being seen by your router and the fact you can’t sign in is a good sign. The PC probably can’t see your Mac at all !

To turn Windows sharing OFF .

Click on the apple menu in the task bar then system preferences then sharing then click on file sharing then in the top right hand window turn Windows sharing OFF

Unrecognized icon in Finder Shared files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.