Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is MacBook Pro slow?

After I upgraded OS 10.7.5 to OS 10.11.6 in my MacBook Pro, the computer slowed down to a creep. Starting up takes anywhere from 1.5 minutes to 2.1 minutes between pushing the start button and appearance of El Capitan. Opening applications (e.g. Safari, Mail, Final Cut Express, iDVD, etc.) takes a similarly long time. With OS 10.7.5 MacBook Pro was not slow.

I have removed many unused files and several applications and emptied the trash. The computer Memory window shows that the computer has 4 GB of memory. The Storage window shows that the Mac HD has 109.5 GB free of 199.2 GB.

A firewire 800 connected 500 GB LaCie external HD is partitioned to provide space for Time Machine Backup and Media storage. The Backup partition has 17.7 GB free of 214.8 GB. The Media partition has 260.5 GB free of 285.1 GB.

Why has El Capitan dramatically slowed down my computer to an unacceptable level? Can Its speed be increased?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 9:52 AM

1 reply

Dec 9, 2017 10:05 AM in response to Toniemae

Your problem is not El Capitan but the Lion system you upgraded. Backup your files, erase the drive, and reinstall El Capitan. Do this:

Install Lion Through Yosemite from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files.

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. Wait for the Utility Menu to appear.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. After Disk Utility loads select the volume (this is the indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the side list. Click on the Erase tab in Disk Utility's main window.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button
  5. When the process has completed quit Disk Utility, and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. SelectReinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Why is MacBook Pro slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.