Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari could not open Google pages because the server stopped responding

Hi,

After upgrading to High Sierra I started noticing that Safari failed to load certain Google pages like YouTube or Google search. It just gets stuck loading for a bit and then just shows the "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding". The thing is that if I refresh the page like 5 or 6 times or try to run the same URL or the same query in Chrome, Firefox or any other browser, it works.

I thought it was an issue with my setup so I just did a fresh install of macOS 10.13.2 but it's still happening. I tried removing the history, cache and everything from the browser but it's not solving anything. It's also not my internet connection because I tried both with WiFi and ethernet cable and it happens randomly in either connection.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13), null

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 10:00 AM

16 replies

Dec 15, 2017 2:55 AM in response to spaceisstrange

Open system preferences > network , simultaneously open mail application > connection Doctor , small continuous circles are observed it means server is down .

Mac is connected to the network and showing green dot , and network utility tool has been removed , this is the way to check .

You have to wait till Mac is connected to the server as every network settings are ok .

User uploaded file

After server issue is resolved , you will see green dots in the connection doctor .

User uploaded file

Dec 15, 2017 3:08 AM in response to spaceisstrange

Configure IPV6 should be automatically , no proxies must be enabled , correct DNS server settings , WPA2 personal AES , wireless network password must be enabled , location as automatic .

User uploaded file

In your login items what apps keeping awake items and another one is there , in third party preferences sound application is there , try to remove them .

Dec 9, 2017 2:40 PM in response to spaceisstrange

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan
also Sierra

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Dec 10, 2017 7:50 AM in response to Eric Root

There you go:

EtreCheck version: 3.4.6 (460)

Report generated 2017-12-10 16:49:40

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 2:11

Performance: Excellent

Click the [Lookup] links for more information from Apple Support Communities.

Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Problem: Other problem

Description:

Safari fails to load Google websites.

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

[Technical Specifications] - [User Guide] - [Warranty & Service]

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro12,1

1 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5 (i5-5257U) CPU: 2-core

16 GB RAM Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

8 GB DDR3 1867 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

8 GB DDR3 1867 MHz ok

Handoff/Airdrop2: supported

Wireless: en0: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 339

iCloud Quota: 33.65 GB available

Video Information:

Intel Iris Graphics 6100 - VRAM: 1536 MB

Color LCD 2560 x 1600

Disk Information:

APPLE SSD SM0256G disk0: (251 GB) (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

[Show SMART report]

EFI (disk0s1 - MS-DOS FAT32) <not mounted> [EFI]: 210 MB

(disk0s2) <not mounted> [APFS Container]: 250.14 GB

USB Information:

USB30Bus

Broadcom Corp. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Apple Inc. Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Virtual disks:

Macintosh HD (disk1s1 - APFS) / [Startup]: 250.14 GB (199.04 GB free)

Encrypted: Yes (Unlocked)

Physical disk: disk0s2 250.14 GB (199.04 GB free)

(disk1s2) <not mounted> [Preboot]: 250.14 GB

Physical disk: disk0s2 250.14 GB

(disk1s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 250.14 GB

(disk1s4) /private/var/vm [VM]: 250.14 GB

System Software:

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C88) - Time since boot: about 17 hours

Gatekeeper:

Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions:

/System/Library/Extensions

[not loaded] com.caiaq.driver.NIUSBGuitarRigMobileDriver (2.4.23 (R38)) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.caiaq.driver.NIUSBHardwareDriver (2.4.23 (R38)) [Lookup]

System Launch Agents:

[not loaded] 8 Apple tasks

[loaded] 164 Apple tasks

[running] 118 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons:

[not loaded] 37 Apple tasks

[loaded] 175 Apple tasks

[running] 119 Apple tasks

User Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2017-12-09) [Lookup]

[running] com.spotify.webhelper.plist (Spotify - installed 2017-12-10) [Lookup]

User Login Items:

KeepingYouAwake Aplicación

(/Applications/KeepingYouAwake.app)

iTerm Aplicación - Hidden

(/Applications/iTerm.app)

Internet Plug-ins:

QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (installed 2017-12-01)

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Native Instruments USB Audio (installed 2017-12-09) [Lookup]

Time Machine:

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU:

10% WindowServer

6% kernel_task

3% Spotify Helper

3% Spotify Helper

2% Spotify

Top Processes by Memory:

1.13 GB kernel_task

501 MB Safari

367 MB Spotify Helper

172 MB Spotify

158 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

Top Processes by Network Use:

Input Output Process name

47 MB 866 KB Spotify

2 MB 593 KB mDNSResponder

325 KB 64 KB netbiosd

240 KB 26 KB com.apple.WebKit.Networking

41 KB 32 KB apsd

Top Processes by Energy Use:

12.52 WindowServer

3.62 coreaudiod

2.84 Spotify

1.30 hidd

Virtual Memory Information:

10.72 GB Available RAM

7.85 GB Free RAM

5.28 GB Used RAM

2.87 GB Cached files

437 MB Swap Used

Software installs (last 30 days):

Telegram: 3.6.1 (installed 2017-12-09)

VK Messenger: 3.1.0 (installed 2017-12-09)

Guitar Rig 5: (installed 2017-12-09)

Install information may not be complete.

Diagnostics Events (last 3 days for minor events):

2017-12-10 01:22:56 authd Crash [Open]

Dec 9, 2017 7:15 PM in response to Eric Root

Tried it with another administrator account and, at least in the couple of minutes I was testing it, the issue was not there. But I don't understand how this is related to my account since I did a clean install of the OS this very morning and the only thing that I configured the same as my old setup was my iCloud account. What can I do to solve this? I did the Etrecheck report and no error was reported.

Dec 14, 2017 3:10 PM in response to spaceisstrange

Seems like I found the... issue?

Hidden in some Reddit post from back in 2015 someone suggested to put IPv6 on local link only and this has been working so far (have been testing for half an hour now and no signs of the issue).

For everyone having this: Settings -> Network -> Advanced -> TCP/IP -> Configure IPv6 -> Local link only.

Dec 15, 2017 3:14 AM in response to tygb

The thing is that if I put it on "Automatically" Google pages stop working again. The only way to make it work and not have this issue is "Link-local only" option, at least for me.

I actually have the third-party sound application removed from login items, but the thing is that this issue was here before I installed any app on my system. Before opening the issue I did a full reinstall of macOS High Sierra and the issue was there right after doing the clean install.

Safari could not open Google pages because the server stopped responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.