Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change all occurrences of text formatting

I brought a document in from another source and I want to make a Table of Contents for the document. The problem is that when Pages brought it in it named the particular formatting "Free Form*", Pages won't build a ToC from that formatting. How do I change all occurrences of "Free Form*" to something like "Heading 1". There are over 200 occurrences, so I would rather not do it one at a time if I can avoid it.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 10:04 AM

18 replies

Dec 9, 2017 3:47 PM in response to Mike Lipay

You can purchase the retail (not the trial) iWork '09 DVD from Amazon or Ebay resellers. Once installed, apply the downloadable Apple iWork 9.3 Updater to bring the included applications to their last (2012) revisions:

• Pages '09 v4.3
  • Numbers '09 v2.3
  • Keynote '09 v5.3

Because Apple thought it was a great idea to change the Pages v5 and later document architecture, the iWork '09 applications cannot directly open the newer documents. There is a '09 export item in each of the newer counterparts.

Because of their age, the iWork '09 applications are 32-bit applications, and if Apple forces 64-bit applications in macOS 10.14 next fall (without some accommodation for 32-bit apps), you would likely lose the use of these applications if you update past High Sierra.

Dec 9, 2017 4:50 PM in response to Mike Lipay

Mike Lipay wrote:

Doesn't seem to matter, something odd about how Pages opened up the document. Each page exists inside of a text box, and creating a chapter doesn't seem to look inside of these boxes. I changed the headings on a couple pages to Header 1 (which is a recognized ToC format) and nothing.

Would that “other source” be either Word or the Internet? Not telling doesn’t help resolve the issue.

It sounds like the text was in Textboxes or XML frames In the “other source”.

Pages only indexes text in the main textbody, between the page margins, not floating objects.

Peter

Dec 9, 2017 5:25 PM in response to Mike Lipay

Seems awfully non-specific: PDF to iWork. Which iWorks?

And you have no idea of how, or what it is doing with the pdf material.

Nor to what version of .pages it is converting the material. I am guessing that the reference to iWorks means it is probably to an older Pages document.

PDFs are not meant to be edited and text is often made up of lots of broken bits of text, even in a single line of text. If they text was kerned at any point, pdfs actually break the text into a new chunk, even mid-word. Any program has to guess how that it is meant to read and how to put it all together again. If text is in its own bounding box in the pdf the program may assume that is text in a Textbox for the purposes of Pages' layout. It may get that wrong.

Further if it is saving to Pages '09 format, Pages 6.3.1 does another conversion of that to its own document format.

Peter

Dec 9, 2017 5:29 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

PeterBreis0807 wrote:

Pages only indexes text in the main textbody, between the page margins, not floating objects.

Peter

...and once again the App is not the OS, and the OS is not the App.

iWork '09 runs on every macOS back to Snow Leopard. The later versions of Pages are less compatible but still most run on more than one OS and just having a later OS does not mean you have a later Pages.

Peter

Change all occurrences of text formatting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.