Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook hard drive to PC?

Hey there,

My daughter spilled water on my 2009? white macbook. I immediately removed the hard drive but obviously, the macbook has never turned on again. I have an external hard drive. I do not have access to another Macbook and I would prefer not to buy another one simply because I cannot afford one but I do plan on buying a Windows laptop soon.

I have all of my daughter's baby photos saved under iPhoto and I am devastated. How can I get those photos onto my external hard drive? I have read that I need a hard drive enclosure, but is it possible to transfer files from a mac hard drive to a windows one?

I know the bare minimum with these things, I appreciate the help!

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 8:16 AM

You need to buy the enclosure and install the old hard drive.

You need to buy MacDrive or something similar and install it on the PC. This will let the PC read Mac formatted drives.

I don't think there is a version of iPhoto for PCs and since I never use a PC I am not familiar with software for that platform. iPhoto stores photos inside a library folder and it should be possible to work your way down the directory structure to open this folder and copy those files to the PC. I have no idea but you may encounter permissions issues since the underlying Mac folder structure is based on UNIX.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 8:16 AM in response to Confused1717

You need to buy the enclosure and install the old hard drive.

You need to buy MacDrive or something similar and install it on the PC. This will let the PC read Mac formatted drives.

I don't think there is a version of iPhoto for PCs and since I never use a PC I am not familiar with software for that platform. iPhoto stores photos inside a library folder and it should be possible to work your way down the directory structure to open this folder and copy those files to the PC. I have no idea but you may encounter permissions issues since the underlying Mac folder structure is based on UNIX.

Dec 11, 2017 8:23 AM in response to Limnos

So I would connect the hard drive+enclosure to new PC with installed MacDrive and it will show up as a drive on my computer? Then I should be able to use MacDrive to look for the photo files from old mac hard drive to hopefully save them onto new PC depending how they're formatted? I can do that! Thank you very much, here's hoping I don't come across any issues.

Macbook hard drive to PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.