Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audiobook Grid view - multiple copies of the same title in iTunes 12.7.2 update?

I just did the latest High Sierra update (OSX 10.13.2) and iTunes update (12.7.2.58) and the "Grid View" (View As>Grid) for audiobooks (cover art view essentially) is completely messed up. Multiple copies of the same audiobook are showing and it is practically unusable (see example below). This seems to be happening on both Mac and Windows platforms (Windows 10, iTunes 12.7.2.58)

Anyone else seeing this? Any idea how to resolve? I use this view a lot since I find it much easier than the list view being that I have a large number of audiobooks in iTunes. Screenshot below. Previous to the update everything seemed to work fine...Each audiobook was represented by a single cover and then I could click on it to expand to see the various chapters, etc.

User uploaded file

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 8:37 AM

ColonelAngus wrote:

If there were only a field in the audiobook information that could be used for this........

There is, it is the sort name field. I've just written a script to help set it efficiently. See Set audiobook sort names for best results.

tt2

21 replies

Jan 19, 2018 1:11 PM in response to whatdoiknoweither

This is a user to user support forum. Apple aren't listening here. One would hope that this will be fixed in the next build, but please add your voice to Feedback - iTunes - Apple to make sure they are aware of the problem.

In the main Audiobooks view of iTunes 12.7.2 sorting as Author by Author (which ought not to be a valid selection, but let's not go there) should provide a duplicate free view.

See Organizing audiobook chapters for a scripting solution that tweaks the sort chapter names for better results with the current build, and fixes the mess that you'd otherwise get on an iPod classic for example.

FWIW I couldn't initially see the issue because my tracks have been tagged like this for years. Apple may only run quality control on iTunes content which is primarily single file books and again wouldn't show a problem.

tt2

Dec 10, 2017 9:48 PM in response to damorrison2000

I'm also having this exact issue, as well as three others. I can no longer import books from Audible (I just get an infinite loop of popups asking me to valitade my Audible account), sorting books by name doesn't sort them properly, and changing the cover art to something other than a perfectly square image causes a strange visual glitch when I click on the book.

Dec 13, 2017 7:06 PM in response to damorrison2000

This is happening to me too, and I have well over 100 audiobooks in my library that I've accumulated over several years. It would take so many hours for me to go in and fix each chapter manually that I don't consider it a remotely viable option. I guess I will wait a few days for Apple to fix whatever bug is causing the issue. Otherwise I will seek a new app to host my media because iTunes is unusable in its current state.

Dec 30, 2017 12:49 PM in response to damorrison2000

I just got a new audiobook and noticed this problem with the gridview too. After changing several sort options I found one that seems to get rid of the duplicates:

View>Sort By then select Author (above the line) and Author (below the line)

You can't seem to use the "Show View Options" method, as it grays out the second Author choice when you've selected it first.

Hope they fix it, as this is a pain.

Jan 19, 2018 12:48 PM in response to damorrison2000

This isn't an answer for you but just so you know I'm in the same boat. I opened iTunes today to find my audio books in a total mess. It's like someone digitally walked into my library and tore the pages out of all my books and then said 'can you put these back into some sort of order for yourself?'. It's ridiculous really that these so called 'updates' aren't actually quality controlled before they're released. And it's even more ridiculous that people are having to 'work around' this problem. In all seriousness Jobs would be just as annoyed as his customers are at these issues.... If they use the term 'fix', it suggests that something was broken to start with, update is absolutely the wrong word for what these programers are supplying us with. I've paid a great deal of money for apple mac products... Why is this happening? And when will it be resolved? Please someone from the apple corporation respond to these two questions.

Audiobook Grid view - multiple copies of the same title in iTunes 12.7.2 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.