Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Audio Clicking and Popping High Sierra

Since updating to High Sierra, I've gotten clicking and popping sounds when playing audio to studio monitors with my PreSonus Audiobox USB. 10.13.2 is supposed to fix this issue, but I still get this issue.

Apparently this happened on OS Sierra too and someone came up with a fix. I copied and pasted the code in the Terminal and it didn't work.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on

Jan 15, 2018 4:41 AM in response to PetrosBe In response to PetrosBe

Did you find any solution? I have same issue I think. From the beginning I've got popping sound which we know from youtube etc. but after last update I found problem with speakers. Sound becomes louder if speakers play louder so it have to be speakers.

Jan 15, 2018 4:41 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 15, 2018 11:49 AM in response to kristof461 In response to kristof461

Hi kristof461 , there are some steps to do to verify if this is popping sound . try to listen to an mp3 for example or a video and then force quit the player or the video ( command Q ) after a few seconds you will hear a popping sound no matter if you have the volume on , maximum , minimum or mute . Verify if you hear the popping sound and answer me to give you details.

Jan 15, 2018 11:49 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 15, 2018 12:17 PM in response to PetrosBe In response to PetrosBe

In fact from the beginning I have quiet popping sound looking exactly how you describe. However now after update I've got something different. It reliant on speakers because when mute I can't hear it. When loud I hear it without a problem. Here is my sound Strange crackle/popping sound after update to macOS 10.13.2 - YouTube

Jan 15, 2018 12:17 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 15, 2018 1:04 PM in response to kristof461 In response to kristof461

It's definitely popping sound . I have the same issue since i bought my macbook pro and i can recognize it. So there are some things to do . Try this script (for me it works fine) https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/stop-the-popping-in-high-sierra.202355/ . I am on high sierra 10.13.2 .

Jan 15, 2018 1:04 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 15, 2018 2:49 PM in response to PetrosBe In response to PetrosBe

Did it work for you? In fact Apple support suggested to try new account safe mode to find out popping sound as software issue. In fact I logged out of my account go to guest one (where popping sound didn’t appear) than came back to my account and even after few videos from YouTube or iTunes song nothing happened. Strange.

Jan 15, 2018 2:49 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 15, 2018 3:01 PM in response to PetrosBe In response to PetrosBe

Also this new popping issue appears every 5 minutes if started. Usually people complain about different type of popping issue coming from fans or lid and hinges. Maybe also this type is in my computer but it isn’t so annoying. I understand that you also have same as me.

Jan 15, 2018 3:01 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 16, 2018 6:37 AM in response to kristof461 In response to kristof461

Yes , it work for me but every two or three days a popping sound appear but only 1 or two 2 times , before I use the patch that I send you yesterday I have a popping sound every 30 seconds.. In fact it's a software issue and I can't understand why Apple does nothing..Imagine I tried everything (change motherboard , speakers , screen assembly , update on High Sierra , 5-6 times format) and nothing work as good as the patch I use.. Can you explain me please the way suggested by Apple support with the guest account?

Jan 16, 2018 6:37 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 16, 2018 6:56 AM in response to PetrosBe In response to PetrosBe

Guest account or safe mode is a "clear" account without any bugs. If it appears still in this tests there is possibility that Apple can make replacement.

Anyway I figured out (I hope so) what cause this issue. In company I have to use Microsoft Outlook. When outlook is closed nothing happens. When I open it every 3-5 minutes I have this annoying sound. I tried it several times and I can really use 2 hours or even more without issues BUT only when outlook is closed. Now when I am writing this post outlook is opened and I've heard popping sound 3-4 times. So strange. Even though I think that macOS is an issue. Before last update I was using outlook without any problems.

Jan 16, 2018 6:56 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 16, 2018 8:00 AM in response to kristof461 In response to kristof461

Before the patch I had the same issue with parallels , Lightroom and Photoshop .. But it didn't make sense and find out what cause the problem . It's the sound card management of mac , because after a few seconds of inactivity it automatically shut off and it gives the popping sound.. I think I would try the trick with guest account ..

Jan 16, 2018 8:00 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 17, 2018 6:21 AM in response to PetrosBe In response to PetrosBe

In my case closing Outlook helps 😉 I am sure on 99%. So it's software problem. macOS or Outlook software. Anyway I have also popping sound like this MacBook Pro Popping Sound - YouTube but if appears it's quiet and doesn't bother me too much. BUT. Yesterday I've got 2 popping sound like in this video. I tried your fix and I've got 4-5. After I reduce 25 to 0 I haven't heard that yet.

Jan 17, 2018 6:21 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 18, 2018 1:59 AM in response to PetrosBe In response to PetrosBe

I tried sleep 7 like you have but after that change I had 3-4 popping sound today. In fact yesterday just after I change it I didn't hear anything. So so strange. Anyway I came back to sleep 0 and it's fine. I will work with that setting for few days to make a statement about that.

P.S. How the **** people like mattsday on tonymacx86.com find this type of fixes?

Jan 18, 2018 1:59 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: waduhek

Question: Audio Clicking and Popping High Sierra