Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Return to Mac OS High Sierra from Bootcamp Windows 10

I am running the latest version of Mac OS High Sierra and a fully updated version of Windows 10 under Bootcamp.

When I want to go from Mac to Windows, I click the Apple logo, select Restart, wait for the chime, hold Option and select Windows. No problems.

But when I want to go back to Mac OS, I do the same thing - Windows Logo, click on Power, click on Restart, wait for the chime, hold Option and select Mac OS. But it never finishes the startup for High Sierra. No error, just the status bar gets stuck - even waited over an hour and a half yesterday before holding the POWER button.

However, if I do a complete shutdown when on the Windows 10 side and then use the Power button to restart the iMac, everything goes fine.

I have read the support article about High Sierra and Bootcamp/Windows, but since I am not using the icon in the system tray in Windows, that does not/should not apply to me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), Windows 10

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 11:02 AM

4 replies

Dec 9, 2017 11:11 AM in response to swandy

swandy wrote:

But when I want to go back to Mac OS, I do the same thing - Windows Logo, click on Power, click on Restart, wait for the chime, hold Option and select Mac OS. But it never finishes the startup for High Sierra. No error, just the status bar gets stuck - even waited over an hour and a half yesterday before holding the POWER button.

However, if I do a complete shutdown when on the Windows 10 side and then use the Power button to restart the iMac, everything goes fine.

A Restart is not the same as Shutdown. There are NVRAM settings that are being managed under the covers for you. A NVRAM Reset will work. Also, if you have Windows Fast Start enabled, it is a bit more complicated, because Windows does not 'full' power-down in this case, unlike a Shutdown.

Return to Mac OS High Sierra from Bootcamp Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.