Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What will give me highest quality .MOV?

I need to provide DiscMakers.com with a .MOV of my 30 minute movie for DVD duplication.

What Export settings should I use to provide them with the "best" quality version of my film?

I know DVD is SD 720 but should I give them a large HD file?

I'm using iMovie '11 9.0.6 on my iMac OS X 10.7.5.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), iMovie '11 9.0.6

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 11:36 AM

7 replies

Dec 11, 2017 1:17 PM in response to swiiglor

Drat, it's been quite a while since I looked at the output menu for Final Cut.

I think, as best I can remember, when you choose to export your movie and you have the Save box up (where you can choose a location and give the output a name), is where you tell it to use uncompressed.

User uploaded file

As shown, Make Movie Self-Contained should be checked. But I believe the Setting menu here is where you choose Uncompressed. It's moved around some. Especially between Final Cut Pro and Final Cut X.

I haven't used Final Cut for a number of years now (switched the the Adobe video suite), and I can't quite remember where the choice is.

Dec 9, 2017 2:28 PM in response to swiiglor

Uncompressed video would be best. It will also be huge, but that would be the best.

All DVD video is written as MPEG-2. It's the only video format used on movie DVD discs, and is the only one expected to be found on a movie disc by set-top players.

If you send them a compressed format of any kind, it will get compressed again (making the quality even worse) when they build the DVD from your supplied video.

The main option you have to control video quality for a DVD is what bitrate you create the MPEG-2 video as. Higher is better. Too high means older players won't be able to decode it fast enough to play back smoothly.

Tell the vendor you would like the best quality possible on your final DVD. They'll know what bitrate and other settings to use.

Dec 10, 2017 8:25 PM in response to swiiglor

MPEG-4 is a compressed format. Even at highest quality, there will be noticable detail loss compared to uncompressed. Then they'll re-encode it as MPEG-2 for the DVD, doubling up the detail loss by recompressing a compressed video.

Where it says Compression Type on the top pull-down menu, there should be (as I recall) a choice for Uncompressed.

What will give me highest quality .MOV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.