Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon Printer problems in High Sierra

Canon has stopped supporting most older printers on computers that have been upgraded to High Sierra. If you look at the Canon website you will find my Canon printer owners saying that they can no longer scan in High Sierra as MP Navigator no longer works. Canon says Tough luck buy a new printer. So don't upgrade to High Sierra if you have an older Canon multifunction printer.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Mail 8.2

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 12:47 PM

8 replies

Dec 10, 2017 12:18 AM in response to Kappy

I agree that this is not Apples problem. The problem is with Canon. They have left tens of thousands of owners of still functioning Multi-Function printers with a printer that can no longer scan. This is a big problem for a lot of users and I for one will never buy another Canon printer. They are offering a pathetic 20% discount, which is less than you can get in most stores. Shame on you Canon!

The reason I posted this on the Apple forum is to let others know they have a decision to make:

1) Upgrade to High Sierra and get what I have seen are really minor practical improvements for most users and as a result of the upgrade you will have a multi function printer that is useless as a scanner or

2) Don't upgrade to High Sierra and have a printer that works

For me the choice is clear. I have both an iMac and a MacBook Pro. Unfortunately I already upgraded the iMac but haven't upgraded the MacBook. I do not intend to upgrade the MacBook as long as my Canon still works.

Dec 12, 2017 4:28 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy

VueScan worked fine. However the free version imbeds a watermark in every scan. It costs $40 to get a clean version for 1 year. As a new scanner from Canon can be had for under $50 I am not sure that it is worth getting the paid VueScan. I will live with the watermark for now. Fortunately I have a laptop that I won't upgrade to High Sierra that I can use if I need a clean scan.

Thanks for your help.

It would be helpful to others if Apple advertised more clearly that upgrading may create problems for peripherals so people can make this decision before they upgrade.

Dec 13, 2017 9:36 AM in response to Kappy

This is disgusting. I have a perfectly good Canon Printer/scanner that does not scan any more. Fault lies on both sides. Surely Apple should have warned us that we would no longer be able to use certain applications, before asking us to upgrade. Canon should work a fix. If I do have to purchase another scanner, it won't be canon. I certainly won't upgrade any more apple systems either. Short term view I think from both Mega companies

Canon Printer problems in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.