Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

according to Sophos Anti-virus, Mackeeper is NOT legit

upon opening the .pkg file downloaded from their official site, Sophos immediately ended the installation. thanks Sophos.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/threat-center/threat-analyses/adware-and-puas/MacKe eper/detailed-analysis.aspx

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 6:46 PM

12 replies

Dec 14, 2017 6:22 PM in response to NevoidHyp

in fact, it has saved me quite a few times.

I'd be interested to know what it has saved you from? Since there have not been any viruses that can affect Macs, there is nothing to be saved from. If you inadvertently get a Windows virus in an email attachment - just don't open it and it will not do anything to your Mac because it can't. I don't open any attachments. If you get any adware, there is a much better solution with malwarebytes. All/any AV software will have an effect on Mac OS: at best, it will only slow it down; at worst, it can cause havoc in the form of kernel panics, etc. and render your machine unusable. And, as long as you don't go to or download from any unknown/questionable websites, you don't need to be saved.

Dec 14, 2017 6:25 PM in response to NevoidHyp

No.

Antivirus software is NOT needed if the Mac you are running is only running OS X. Antivirus apps interfere with normal performance and operation of a Mac because they program too many controls (program extensions) into the main OS X system software impacting/impeding general performance of a Mac.

Here are some of my tidbits of advice on how to avoid viruses in the future, if you encounter a virus, again.

Some anti-virus solutions can slow down your Mac, but to be honest, the best anit-virus app is you, the user and your brain.

Don't visit questionable websites or website you are unsure about.

Don't use Torrents or engage in "Torrenting"

Don't install pirated software or software downloaded from a questionable or unknown websites or untrutsted sources.

Java is still a vulnerability concern, if you do not need it, don't use it.

Use a browser filter and pop-up blocker

Don't open email attachments from email addresses that you do not recognize.

Install security updates when they become available

Educate yourself as to what threats are common and active.

In effect, use your own brain as the antivirus filter.

Follow that advise and in MOST cases, you will be fine and won't risk your Mac to potential Trojans, malware or viruses.

If you really feel you need some basic, baseline virus protection that is minimally invasive on the Mac OS X system, think about purchasing, downloading and installing

ClamXav2

http://www.clamxav.com/

Been using Macs with no to very basic and minimal antivirus for nearly 25 years!

according to Sophos Anti-virus, Mackeeper is NOT legit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.