Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X auto-locks in 10s when viewing from reclined position

This is fun: iPhone X shuts off the screen when viewing from bed in 10 seconds. Has no one else seen this? I can reliably repro it on multiple phones, and it makes using it super frustrating to use from a reclined position.

Steps:

1. Set auto-lock to 30 seconds (Settings > Display & Brightness).

2. In a dimly lit room, look up and hold the iPhone X up over your head facing down towards your face.

3. Open a page in Safari, look at it, and hold it steady. (This is important.. any movement will keep it awake.)

Result: Screen dims in ~7 seconds and shuts off completely within 10.

Expected result: The phone should detect your attention and stay unlocked and lit. Even if it doesn't detect attention, dimming may be acceptable but it should not lock prior to the auto-lock setting.

Workaround: Set auto-lock to Never or 5 minutes.

Increasing the auto-lock setting will delay this, but notably it still happens much sooner than the setting value (e.g. 1m auto-lock = locks in ~15s). So setting it to 5 minutes and it probably won't happen before you move or interact with the screen again. Or set it to Never and perhaps it won't happen at all.

Attention awareness setting has no effect.

iOS: 11.2

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 3:32 PM

I have reported it. I’m wondering if anyone here with an iPhone X can reproduce... it’s very easy! I mean, if you hold your phone steady.

I guess it’s kind of a test for steady “surgeon’s hands”. Hold your iPhone X over your head and see if you can make it sleep in 10 seconds.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 3:32 PM in response to panchososa694

I have reported it. I’m wondering if anyone here with an iPhone X can reproduce... it’s very easy! I mean, if you hold your phone steady.

I guess it’s kind of a test for steady “surgeon’s hands”. Hold your iPhone X over your head and see if you can make it sleep in 10 seconds.

iPhone X auto-locks in 10s when viewing from reclined position

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.