Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

export using quicktime imovie '11 9.0.9 on High Sierra

Hi, I have iMovie '11 9.0.9 on High Sierra. The problem I am having is that the last project I worked on in iMovie 9.0.9 was saved as a .mp4 prior to updating my laptop to High Sierra. I updated to High Sierra and now iMovie 9.0.9 is only saving my projects as .mp4 without an option to change the format when I try to export using Quicktime . My iMovie 9.0.9 has always done a poor job of exporting as a .mp4 in Quicktime, so even when I try to change the extension to .mov it has that pixelated look as if it was a .mp4. Not sure how to fix or get back to being able to choose the format when exporting using Quicktime. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 12:45 PM

7 replies

Dec 9, 2017 3:28 PM in response to Brandermill

The last OS that iMovie 9.0.9 was fully compatible with was Yosemite. I suspect what you are seeing is caused by incompatibility with High Sierra. What you might try is to delete iMovie preferences and see if that helps. They are in your user library. Here is the path: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iMovieApp.plist. Just delete this file and iMovie will rebuild it when you reopen the App. Your best choice would be to upgrade to iMovie 10.1.8.

Dec 10, 2017 7:05 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thank you for your reply. My experience with iMovie before updating my computer has been that when I changed the format to save as .mp4 while exporting using QuickTime it was always pixelated and looked worse than when it was saved as .mov. I only changed it because I was hoping to get a smaller file to send to someone. I would have changed it back if I had known I wouldn’t have the option to change the formatting after updating. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Dec 10, 2017 8:19 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thanks! I can make adjustments in size using the new iMovie. I don’t have a problem with that program. I get around in it pretty well. The problem comes when I use iMovie ‘11 9.0.9. After the update to my MacBook, I can no longer adjust the format, or size, or anything when exporting using QuickTime because the dialog box to make those changes is not available. It probably has to do with the incompatibility another person mentioned before. I have projects in the older version of iMovie that I will need to build in the new iMovie unless there is a way to open those projects in the new iMovie. Thanks again for your help.

export using quicktime imovie '11 9.0.9 on High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.