Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer Iphone photos to new iphone but not settings

I have a new iphone X and want to transfer photos, videos, contacts, apps from an Iphone 6. I have two problems.

1. The old iphone 6 has a restrictions password that is no longer remembered. If I restore from a back-up the restrictions password will all be restored. Therefore I need to set up the iphone X as a new device which is fine but I would like my pictures etc on the new iphone X from the iphone 6. I want to get rid of the restrictions password.

2. I have a new Apple ID. Previously as a family we shared one Apple ID. We've recently gone to family sharing as everyone will now have their own Apple ID. Can I still make a back up of my old iphone 6 under my new Apple ID and use it to transfer the data. (again avoiding the settings transfer.)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 11:52 AM

2 replies

Dec 9, 2017 12:25 PM in response to HB69

HB69,

1) Yes, the only way to get around the restrictions password is to set it up as a new phone. Alternatively you could restore from a backup prior to the restrictions code being applied.

2) One way to transfer your photos from your old Apple ID to the new one is to use iCloud on a computer. On a computer, go to iCloud.com and log into your old Apple ID, locate your photos and export them to the hard drive. Then log into your new Apple ID and import the photos.

3) On your new phone, log in with your new Apple ID and go to Settings > your-name-apple-id > iCloud > Photos and turn it on. Your photos should then download to your phone (it may take awhile).

Good luck.

Dec 9, 2017 12:30 PM in response to HB69

All was well until you said you have a new Apple ID. If you still had the same Apple ID you could just go to Settings on the old phone, tap on your name, then iCloud, and turn on the switches for the things you want to sync. The do the same on the new phone with the same Apple ID and they will be transferred.

If you have the old phone you can still do this. After the transfer is complete to the new phone, turn OFF those switches on the new phone and choose to keep anything you are asked about. Then log in with your new Apple ID and those items should still be there.

Note that this does not work for apps, only the items that show up under iCloud settings. However, as you are on a family plan you can redownload those apps with the new Apple ID.

Transfer Iphone photos to new iphone but not settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.