Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages suddenly won't work

Hi, I'm having problems with Messages on my iMac, while it works fine on my iPhone.

--- It suddenly doesn't work: When I launch it from the Doc is shows no window, or a small blank window. Repeatedly clicking the icon in the doc, it then shows the small window saying "No Conversation Selected" while the Preferences is grayed out.
--- Under My Status it shows Offline. When I change it to Available (or any other status), I get a "talk.google.com Password" request, with one of my Gmail addresses that I must have assigned to Messages. I KEEP TYPING THE RIGHT PASSWORD (I double-checked it signing in to that Gmail account) — YET IT WON'T TAKE IT, it keeps asking for the password repeatedly.

--- I use 4 email accounts, 2 of which Gmail accounts. Not sure when/where I assigned one of those Gmail accounts to Messages, and I'm now baffled it won't recognize the password I'm using for that Gmail account.

--- On the iPhone (Settings > Messages> Send & Receive) I now have the 4 email addresses, just to be on the safe side. I also deselected and then selected again the iMessage button on the top. Nothing works.

Any suggestions?... Thanks in advance!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 27" 24gb RAM Late 2012

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 2:12 PM

...So last night I decided to go online, ask Apple to call me today (Sunday)... We spent TWO hours on the phone, first with their tech guy, and then was elevated to a higher level... Josie was EXTREMELY patient and helpful, we tried everything, nothing fixed it. Then I mentioned an issue I had, couple days before Messages started acting up, with my Adobe InDesign (CS6) repeatedly quitting on me, which I suspected was because of some "weird" fonts left activated in my FontExplorer X Pro. Once I deactivated all those fonts — ID went back to normal.
Josie suggested I open my FontExplorer, and check if one of those System Fonts called Apple Gothic (Regular) was activated. It was not... Once I did activate it — BINGO, "MESSAGES" WAS WORKING AGAIN (though I had to set it up again).

Apple is a true winner!!! I've been using Apple products since 1989, never purchased their AppleCare, yet every time I visit their store with a technical issue, or ask for help online or on the phone — they're the most kind, patient, knowledgeable — and helpful.... Bravo, Apple!!!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2017 2:12 PM in response to amifromskokie

...So last night I decided to go online, ask Apple to call me today (Sunday)... We spent TWO hours on the phone, first with their tech guy, and then was elevated to a higher level... Josie was EXTREMELY patient and helpful, we tried everything, nothing fixed it. Then I mentioned an issue I had, couple days before Messages started acting up, with my Adobe InDesign (CS6) repeatedly quitting on me, which I suspected was because of some "weird" fonts left activated in my FontExplorer X Pro. Once I deactivated all those fonts — ID went back to normal.
Josie suggested I open my FontExplorer, and check if one of those System Fonts called Apple Gothic (Regular) was activated. It was not... Once I did activate it — BINGO, "MESSAGES" WAS WORKING AGAIN (though I had to set it up again).

Apple is a true winner!!! I've been using Apple products since 1989, never purchased their AppleCare, yet every time I visit their store with a technical issue, or ask for help online or on the phone — they're the most kind, patient, knowledgeable — and helpful.... Bravo, Apple!!!

Messages suddenly won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.