Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sound from USB Parasound A-D unit drops

I have a new Parasound zphono usb preamp and digital interface which I'm using to rip my vinyl collection. When I first got the device my iMac (late 2012) was on Sierra and the device worked perfectly. When High Sierra was installed the problems started. The audio from the device would drop. First I checked with Audio Hijack support but they pointed to no input from the device. Next I tried a different USB cable for the unit but that made no difference. I contacted Parasound and they very nicely exchanged the device for another new one. I installed High Sierra 10.13.2 which has a fix for third-party USB audio devices. I could record 1 LP but then the problem of no audio coming into the system started again.

I don't believe there is a problem with the Parasound device. Their support has no reports of hardware problems. Seems the audio problems started with High Sierra and the latest fix does not work for my situation.

Would anyone have any insights into this problem?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 12:56 PM

4 replies

Dec 10, 2017 5:44 PM in response to mazapan

Have you tried re-setting the System Management Controller (SMC)?

See the Apple support documentation for this at: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Basic steps are:

1. Shut the iMac down
  2. Un-plug the power cord for at least 30 seconds
  3. Restore power to your iMac (plug back in)
  4. Start-up normally

This actually fixed a similar problem I had recently getting a new USB Audio adapter (mic + earphone) to work.

Hope it works for you!

sound from USB Parasound A-D unit drops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.