Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages automatically removes line breaks

Hi,

I have been using pages for a while and when I used to copy something from a website and would paste and match style (or just paste normally), pages would keep all the line breaks in the document. But for the past few months pages has stopped keeping the line breaks in the documents and just removes them all together. Is there a setting I can turn off so it does not remove them?

Thanks,

Jack

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), New MacBook Pro w/ touchbar

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 5:17 PM

No version of Pages understands HTML content because it is not built into the application, unlike MS Word. Line breaks in Pages '09 v4.3 are carriage returns, and in Pages v5/v6, they are newlines. As Pages v5/v6 are not based on Pages '09, there may be other limitations that make them less suitable for pasting Web content than Pages '09.

TextEdit is able to export to HTML, and thus, has a better reception waiting for pasted web content than Pages.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2017 5:17 PM in response to jswelch01

No version of Pages understands HTML content because it is not built into the application, unlike MS Word. Line breaks in Pages '09 v4.3 are carriage returns, and in Pages v5/v6, they are newlines. As Pages v5/v6 are not based on Pages '09, there may be other limitations that make them less suitable for pasting Web content than Pages '09.

TextEdit is able to export to HTML, and thus, has a better reception waiting for pasted web content than Pages.

Dec 9, 2017 5:18 PM in response to jswelch01

Jack

Have you checked the obvious: Are the line breaks actually still in your source material?

Copy and paste the source into TextEdit with the document set to Plain Text.

I just created text in TextEdit with inserted line breaks and it copies and pastes into Pages 6.3.1 exactly as is.

It is possible that your source has finally woken up to the 21st century and stopped using ancient PC software designed for Teletexting.

Peter

PS It helps to tell us what you are using: Pages and OSX versions.

Pages automatically removes line breaks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.