Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

coresymbolicationd why

Hi,

I had two failures to wake up my mbp running 10.11.6 in the past two days with a spinning beach ball on a black screen. Console creates error messages every 10 seconds:

2017-12-09-Sat 23:09:02.248 coresymbolicationd[6797]: /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.coresymbolicationd/data does not exist, resetting cache

2017-12-09-Sat 23:09:02.248 coresymbolicationd[6797]: Attempt to create [/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.coresymbolicationd/data] failed. No such file or directory

2017-12-09-Sat 23:09:02.248 coresymbolicationd[6797]: Unable to open storage at /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.coresymbolicationd/data

2017-12-09-Sat 23:09:02.249 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.coresymbolicationd) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

I booted from my CCC backup and deleted /Library/Caches according to this post, which did not relieve the problem: coresymbolicationd: whazzup? According to the post, reinstalling the system would help but I would like to know what's really up with this. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), i7, ssd

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 2:12 PM

5 replies

Dec 9, 2017 10:54 PM in response to PN2

PN2 wrote:

There's another suggestion here, which worked for some.

Re: Mystery - LaunchDaemon respawning issue

thanks for pointing me to this, sure saved a lot of time as opposed to reinstalling the system. The messages are gone.

I was asking about why it could have become corrupt (if that's what it was, but my output of the diagnostic things recommended in coresymbolicationd: whazzup? were quite similar ) mainly because initially, the /Library/Caches folder had contained a folder with a red no-access dot called com.google.SoftwareUpdate.0 which is gone now. Not sure if that had to do with the corruption.

I remember some Google Updater (with a 3-balls icon in OS 9-like pixely resolution) running all the time and reporting failure to update. Forgot how I got rid of that behavior, but I think it involved modifying some 1 to 0 in a text file and was from a google help page. I don't mind google updating their apps automatically, it was just that it always failed. I started Earth (updater-free version from Google) and Chrome now and both run fine.

Do you think I need to do something with the Google apps?

Dec 9, 2017 11:38 PM in response to schmunzelmonster

I'm glad that it worked & saved some time. I wouldn't rush to do anything with the Google apps, since it's hard to know how or if they could be related to the problem.

Setting restricted in the first place have required disabling SIP or starting from Recovery (**edit : I'm unable to test on El Capitan, but cannot set restricted on a file using sudo chflags with Sierra 10.12.6**)… I can't say how it may have happened on your system, and at least several others.

coresymbolicationd why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.