Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 Sparse Bundles?

I am looking at my Time-Capsule and I am seeing 2 different Sparse Bundles. "Name.sparsebundle" and "Name 1.sparsebundle"

The former is created about a week prior to the later, and only has 137 GB.

I'm trying to go by memory here, and IIRC, by default TM used to create 2 different bundles, is that correct? Just in case I am remembering wrong, I am checking here as I'd like to clear out some more room on my 2 TB capsule, but I do not want to risk destroying everything if both are needed.

2-TB Time-Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 5:53 PM

7 replies

Dec 9, 2017 6:04 PM in response to HACKINT0SH

Only one sparsebundle is used per computer.

It is pretty unusual for TM to create a new backup without wiping the old one. Unless you made some major change to the computer like change hard disk.. in which case it will start over.. because the new install has different UUID and hence backup now has a different UUID.

You can discover such details using tmutil from the command line.

Suggest you read the man page first.

Delete the older one as it is no longer relevant .. unless you know there are files in there you need.. in which case you should archive the TC first to USB drive.. and then delete the sparsebundle.

Dec 10, 2017 12:05 PM in response to HACKINT0SH

I think you will do a lot better.. archive the whole lot.. and start over with erase of the TC disk.

If you are on Sierra or High Sierra.. then Time Machine is having loads of issues to network drives.

You must NOT use any Anti-virus software.. extra security software.. and almost anything with up in the name.. cleanup speedup.. memory recovery etc.. ie adware.

And TM is now sufficiently unreliable as to require a change from using it on network to limiting it to local drives only.. ie USB plugged directly into the computer.

And even scrub TM altogether and run Carbon Copy Cloner etc.. as a far more reliable backup.

Dec 10, 2017 8:17 PM in response to LaPastenague

Ack! That *****. I guess another big FAIL on Apple's part there.

I'm using Sierra here, but I guess what you are telling me is once again Apple is not going to bother fixing their issues again?

My TM is attempting to backup again tonight, but it's still slow as ****. says 2 hours to backup only 150 Megs. And yes, that's Megs, and NOT Gigs. Not sure what gives here...

Dec 10, 2017 8:53 PM in response to HACKINT0SH

Slow backup is a bit different issue to what you posted..

But loads of people find everything speeds up dramatically after a full network reboot.

Of course if you use wireless then all sorts of things depend on the wireless speed. There is nothing to fix wireless issues.. like NOT using wireless.. change over to wired connections for decent reliability and speed.

But I do encourage people for now OFF TM to network drives.. from Sierra it has become too unreliable.. partly at least due to increased security that Apple enabled to prevent ransomware being able to encrypt your backup. If the computer cannot reach the backup then it is safe I guess is the rationale.

Dec 10, 2017 9:31 PM in response to LaPastenague

Well, here is the issue. LOL.

I AM using the ethernet connection. And even then it's this frieken slow! In fact, it looks to me it may take a long more than the 2 hours initialy projected.

I used to have super-duper, do I SERIOUSLY need to go back and use some third-party application again, because APPLE is too stupid to get their own mess right?

The caps lock key still never enables because apparently I type too fast for it to recognize, an issue that has been brought up for years, and yet apple can't even get THAT fixed for typists! Come on...

2 Sparse Bundles?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.