Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

12.7.2 upgrade rearranged my audiobooks sort order

Why is it that just about every update to iTunes for Windows mucks up my large audiobook library?

I have just updated to v12.7.2. All versions of iTunes before this allowed me to organize my audiobook library by album. Using this useful facility I arranged that all audiobooks had the album field organized as <author surname><author initials><series name><book series number><book title>. This allowed books in a trilogy, say, to be found by author, then by trilogy series, then in book order, making a very convenient way of locating a book or series.

Now, without being able to sort by this field, I am left to sort by author which places multiple books by an author in book name order making it difficult to locate a particular volume where I have many volumes by him/her.

Please fix this poor design decision.

Paul Lloyd.

Windows 7

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 11:22 AM

Well personally I've been using this script for around six years, albeit the iTunes for Windows version, as it has ensured that my chapters are sorted correctly on my iPod classic, iPhone, and iPad. I had to strip out my usual sort names to confirm what others were seeing as the problem didn't show itself in my library. If enough users complain to Apple via Feedback - iTunes - Apple they might restore the previous behaviour, or they may have decided that this is the new normal, in which case you'll need my workaround or something similar.

tt2

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 11:22 AM in response to Akk1

Well personally I've been using this script for around six years, albeit the iTunes for Windows version, as it has ensured that my chapters are sorted correctly on my iPod classic, iPhone, and iPad. I had to strip out my usual sort names to confirm what others were seeing as the problem didn't show itself in my library. If enough users complain to Apple via Feedback - iTunes - Apple they might restore the previous behaviour, or they may have decided that this is the new normal, in which case you'll need my workaround or something similar.

tt2

Dec 12, 2017 11:06 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you, turingtest2 for your helpful suggestions. I, like Akk1, have a large collection of audiobooks on a NAS making your initial suggestion a rather tedious process. It would mean going through each author (>500 of them), putting each series into separate folders where there is more than one, then each book within that series into a separate folder as most of my books are multi-file. Then after that, re-linking each book within iTunes. I can see myself getting very tired and frustrated by the process. I think your suggestion quite workable for small collections (where one is just starting, for example), but for large collections (especially where one has already put in the work that "someone" in Apple has deemed no longer needed) it becomes a daunting issue.

Consequently, I have taken your 2nd advice and given my feedback to the iTunes development team. I wasn't aware of this facility, so thank you for your advice here. I'm also considering reverting back to v12.7.1, if I can find a way of doing this without losing my current library.

Paul.

Dec 12, 2017 11:40 AM in response to cplloyd42

Having done some more digging it seems the strange sort order and duplication is only present in Audiobooks and Authors > All Authors views. If you select an author, or use a playlist, then you should get the familiar grouping by book title from previous builds. A smart playlist with the rule Media Kind is Audiobook might be the easiest workaround for now.

tt2

Jan 6, 2018 1:58 AM in response to turingtest2

I'm sorry, turingtest2, that I haven't responded earlier - I've had another PC in our household crash and have been rebuilding it.

Yes, I'm aware that the Authors view is a way of getting part way there. The problem is, book titles in a series often don't fall in the same order as their sequence number, e.g. Lord of the Rings series has Fellowship of the Ring, followed by Two Towers, followed by Return of the King. If you add in, Hobbit, then it splits the series. I have put a lot of effort into naming the album field so that these titles lie together, and in proper order. As I have several hundred books, the majority of which are in some series, then re-titling becomes a very unwelcome (and, frankly, unnecessary and illogical) task. Surely, it is the album name that should reflect the series, not the book's title.

I'm hoping v 12.7.3 will fix this very irksome mistake.

Paul.

Feb 6, 2018 12:38 AM in response to turingtest2

Sorting by title only suits me just nicely. As I indicated in my original posting, I have built into the title field all that I need to order my books. My title field contains: "<author surname><author initials><series name><book series number><book title>" which organizes my books the way I want them.

Obviously, others may have a different situation and need the additional field(s). So ... over to the iTunes development team.

cplloyd42

12.7.2 upgrade rearranged my audiobooks sort order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.