Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow data transfer to Time Machine

I am backing up 350 GB of data from my hard drive to a new Time Machine volume, and the process is so slow that it will take several days to complete. Is this normal, should I just let it run, or just give up?

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:21 AM

A 2007 Mac would have USB 2.0 ports which have a maximum bandwidth of 480 Mbps. The same as the USB ports on the Apple base stations.

Ref: List of device bit rates - Wikipedia

The actual data throughput will be based on, at least, three things:

1. The USB port's limitations.
  2. The Mac's CPU.
  3. The USB drive's processor, data buffers, and disc rotational speed.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2017 11:21 AM in response to eagledavid1

A 2007 Mac would have USB 2.0 ports which have a maximum bandwidth of 480 Mbps. The same as the USB ports on the Apple base stations.

Ref: List of device bit rates - Wikipedia

The actual data throughput will be based on, at least, three things:

1. The USB port's limitations.
  2. The Mac's CPU.
  3. The USB drive's processor, data buffers, and disc rotational speed.

Dec 10, 2017 10:51 AM in response to eagledavid1

For reference, a Time Machine backup typically runs around 25-30 GB/hr over an Ethernet connection to a Time Capsule. It will be demonstrably slower over wireless. The "worst case" scenario would be a Time Machine backup to a USB drive attached to a Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme base that could be half that. You may get better results with a directly attached Thunderbolt drive to your Mac.

Slow data transfer to Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.