Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictionary Look Up Problem (when dictionaries for more than one language are selected)

A problem after the system upgrade to High Sierra —still not addressed in 10.13.2 (I wonder if that is a problem particular to my system):

If I have dictionaries enabled for more than one language (say, the New Oxford American plus any non-English dictionary are selected under Dictionary> Preferences) "quick look up" of a word common to two or more of the selected languages will return results for only one non-English language.

For example: 1. if Oxford-Hachette dictionary is checked under the dictionary preferences: Quick look up of the word 'solution' will only list the French-English definition, not the entry in the New Oxford American Dictionary (even if the latter was given priority in the dictionary preferences).

2. if Oxford-German dictionary is checked: Quick look up of the word 'spiel' will only list the German-English definition, not the entry in the New Oxford American Dictionary (nor the entry in the Oxford-Hachette for that matter. Yet it will display the definition in the Duden-Wissensnetz dictionary, a German to German one.)

I hope this will be fixed soon.

macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2018 4:34 PM

To alert Apple to this behavior, you need to repost it at

http://www.apple.com/feedback

1 reply

Dictionary Look Up Problem (when dictionaries for more than one language are selected)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.