Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos and videos synced from iTunes will be removed

Yes I know this issue has been around for ages but I am new to Mac and can find no answers that seems to address my situation ...

I am trying to help an elderly uncle get his iPad and iPhone photos synced to iCloud.

No issue with the iPhone, but with the iPad I get the dreaded message.

At some time in the past someone seems to have synced his iPad to iTunes on their Mac - he has had only PCs and AFAIK has never had iTunes for Windows installed.

He now just has iPhone and iPad.

So my questions are:

1) Is there any way of telling which photos were synced with iTunes? (Note in my case the device with iTunes is not known and not available)

2) If I cannot identify which photos were synced with iTunes, what is the best way to preserve all his photos and get them into iCloud?

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 9:15 PM

4 replies

Dec 10, 2017 12:57 AM in response to Thunderclutch

Photos synced from a computer should be in their own albums in the Photos app (and the albums/photos can't be deleted directly in the Photos app) e.g. depending upon the iOS version on the iPad under the 'My Albums' heading in the Photos app (that will also include albums created in the Photos app, but they will show a delete icon when you tap on the Edit button top right of the album selection screen).

Dec 10, 2017 1:50 AM in response to Thunderclutch

Go into the Photos app and on the Albums tab in it you can see what albums exist. Those synced from a computer will be in their own albums e.g. under the My Albums heading as per my above reply - but that will also contain albums created directly on the iPad, to identify which is which just tap the 'Edit' button to see which would give you a delete option (i.e. created directly on the iPad) and which won't (i.e. synced from a computer).

Photos and videos synced from iTunes will be removed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.