Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit invitation failure, "Apple ID not registered with iCloud"

Hi,

This error is driving me insane. Had previously successfully invited my wife to share control of our HomeKit accessories via Home app. Today I installed additional accessories but they weren't all showing up in the Home on her phone. Decided to remove her from the list of people who can control the home (it was only me and her), then tried to re-invite her.

For some reason, the invite sheet inside the Home app doesn't recognize her Apple ID email address as being valid, even though it is!

I tried deleting my "Home" and re-adding all the accessories back and then inviting her, to no avail.

I tried restricting the only email address under her contact card to the iCloud one, didn't work.

I even changed my Apple ID to use my iCloud email address instead of Gmail, but didn't work.

I am at my wit's end. Please help.

User uploaded file

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 9:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 4:20 AM

I have the exact same issue, with no search results yielding any help. Seems this is an issue that is a couple years old now. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?? The search results about deleting users don’t work for me. Apple, this is a maddening issue here.

24 replies

Dec 12, 2017 8:44 PM in response to sherifhanna

Spoke to senior Apple technical support tonight. It turns out that Apple has disabled the HomeKit invitation system for all users, pending some additional security enhancements that will roll out in a new version of iOS (maybe 11.2.1?)

This is likely related to this HomeKit vulnerability that was discovered recently:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/07/homekit-vulnerability/

Jan 24, 2018 7:52 PM in response to jeffik

I figured out the problem. If you are on the latest build (At least 11.2.1), the person you're trying to invite must have iCloud Keychain turned on. Settings->Your Name (above Airplane Mode)->iCloud->Keychain

Turn that on. Saw someone post a recommendation for alternative software that can issue invites, and in the app description it mentioned something about the iCloud keychain. I checked my GF's phone and yep, it was off. Turned it on, and the invite went through finally.

Jul 11, 2018 8:13 PM in response to sherifhanna

Stumbled across a fix. Had this issue since HomePods 11.4 update with a guest to my home being able to accept on one device and it not syncing to their other (iPhone vs. iPad Pro and vise versa). Another had zero issues and it worked as it should.

Accidentally deleted the Home messing around with the wrong iPad whilst giving this another frustrated attempt to fix it. Tediously readded all the devices in my home with settings and automations. Invitation issues persisted.

Noticed that I didn’t have all my options for HomePod in Home app for it’s settings at this point. That was a new issue. As initially stated, the HomePod has been giving me issues since 11.4. Not giving me the sound effect when activated, spotty voice ”hey Siri” detection compared to it’s first few months, etc. This was a huge tell and coincided with the invitation issue appearing here.

I removed the HomePod accessory from my Home app and then hard reset it. This immediately allowed the other person to successfully be added on both their devices. Accepted the invite on iOS device and it synced in the background over iCloud and loaded on the other. No longer asking to accept invitation on the other iOs device owned by the guest with the spinning wheel of failure.

Another person in my family never had an issue on their iOS devices. I’d recommend looking at any home hubs and signing in and out of the them. It would be a pain to reset an Apple TV, but worth exploring. This took way too long to figure out and senior engineers couldn’t fix it. My hunch is that iCloud sync with regards to 2 factor isn’t pushing through on the backend on the hubs during a slightly corrupted upgrade on an Apple TV 4 or 5 and HomePod. No one has been having luck in my travels signing out of iOS iCloud accounts.

All is well here now.

HomeKit invitation failure, "Apple ID not registered with iCloud"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.