Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Can/How Can I replace El Capitan with Yosemite on MBP

I bought a used MBP, a Mid-2015 Retina, i7 Quad. It came with El Capitan installed.

I would like to run Yosemite to allow for compatibility with a particular app which is

unstable in 10.11 but said to be ok in 10.10.

I mistakenly upgraded from El Capitan to High Sierra. I then did a Time Machine backup,

and attempted OSRecovery hoping i could revert to Yosemite - which i THOUGHT was the

OS this particular model/build originally delivered with. The only option given was to revert

to El Capitan.

IF I were able to create a bootable Yosemite USB installer drive, could I run it on this machine?

Or, am I limited to El Capitan or newer?

If i CAN use Yosemite on this machine without any issues, could I still backup content from the

Time Machine backup (done in High Sierra) to the HD after installing Yosemite?

Hope you can help! Thank you very much!

MIke

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), June 2013 1.3

Posted on

Dec 10, 2017 6:40 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk In response to QuickTimeKirk

Since I posted, I found the following on Everymac. Why isn't Yosemite loadable?

Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.10.3 (14D2134) Maximum MacOS: Current*

Details: *This system fully supports the last version of OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" as well as OS X 10.11 "El Capitan." It is fully supported by the last version of macOS Sierra (10.12) and the current version of macOS High Sierra (10.13), as well. Running macOS High Sierra (10.13), it supports HEVC (High-Efficiency Video Coding), but it does not support hardware accelerated HEVC.

If this is so, can I not make a 10.10.5 boot install drive and run Yosemite - if OSRecovery apparently

won"t grant me that right? May be Returning it if it can't simply load 10.10 somehow.Thanks for

any clarification,

Mike

Dec 10, 2017 6:40 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 10, 2017 6:55 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk In response to QuickTimeKirk

What if I take it to a Store to install it. Or get a copy and make a bootable usb installer.

I can't install it at all? By the manufacturer's own information, it can run it and i should have

a right to reinstate the orginal OS IMO.

Dec 10, 2017 6:55 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 10, 2017 7:21 PM in response to MIKEinMICH In response to MIKEinMICH

Apple used to show that model as shipping with Yosemite : MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) - Technical Specifications

so it's possible that Shift-Option-Command-R : for 'Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available' might work, as suggested in one of your other threads.

Dec 10, 2017 7:21 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: MIKEinMICH

Question: Can/How Can I replace El Capitan with Yosemite on MBP