Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Family sharing for Apple Music only?

I want my family members to pay for their own app purchases but I will pay for a family Apple Music subscription, is that possible?

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 9:58 AM

Hi Frankie,

As mentioned above, you will be charged for any purchases made by family members that you have added to your iTunes Store Family Sharing account. You can't separate the Apple Music membership from the other purchases.

You, as the organizer, would be responsible for your family's purchases in the iTunes Store, App Store and iBooks Store. However, if your family members purchase physical gift cards in local retail stores, and redeem them on their individual Apple ID accounts, the gift card would be used before you would be charged for any purchases.

If your cousin does not wish to purchase iTunes gift cards to build up credit in his Apple ID account, and you do not wish to pay for your cousin's purchases, you may need to remove him from your Family Sharing account.
Leave Family Sharing

Remove someone from your family group

The family organizer can remove anyone over the age of 13* from the family group. If you need to, you can transfer a child to another family.

User uploaded file

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > Family Sharing. If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Family.
  2. Tap the name of the family member that you want to remove.
  3. Tap Remove.

User uploaded file

On your Mac:

1. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud > Manage Family.
  2. Click the name of the family member that you want to remove.
  3. Click the Remove (—) button in the bottom-left corner.

User uploaded file

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 9:58 AM in response to Frankie Yuen

Hi Frankie,

As mentioned above, you will be charged for any purchases made by family members that you have added to your iTunes Store Family Sharing account. You can't separate the Apple Music membership from the other purchases.

You, as the organizer, would be responsible for your family's purchases in the iTunes Store, App Store and iBooks Store. However, if your family members purchase physical gift cards in local retail stores, and redeem them on their individual Apple ID accounts, the gift card would be used before you would be charged for any purchases.

If your cousin does not wish to purchase iTunes gift cards to build up credit in his Apple ID account, and you do not wish to pay for your cousin's purchases, you may need to remove him from your Family Sharing account.
Leave Family Sharing

Remove someone from your family group

The family organizer can remove anyone over the age of 13* from the family group. If you need to, you can transfer a child to another family.

User uploaded file

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > Family Sharing. If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Family.
  2. Tap the name of the family member that you want to remove.
  3. Tap Remove.

User uploaded file

On your Mac:

1. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud > Manage Family.
  2. Click the name of the family member that you want to remove.
  3. Click the Remove (—) button in the bottom-left corner.

User uploaded file

Take care.

Dec 10, 2017 12:07 PM in response to Frankie Yuen

Hi Frankie Yuen,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!
In order to have an Apple Music Family plan, you must have an iTunes Family Sharing account set up first. You, as the organizer, would be responsible for your family's purchases in the iTunes Store, App Store and iBooks Store. However, if your family members purchase physical gift cards in local retail stores, and redeem them on their individual Apple ID accounts, the gift card would be used before you would be charged for any purchases.
Here's some information to help you determine what the best option is for your family:

Set up Family Sharing​

Family Sharing makes it easy for up to six people in your family to share iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases, an Apple Music family membership, and an iCloud storage plan, without sharing accounts. When the family organizer turns on purchase sharing, you can pay for family purchases with the same credit card and approve kids’ spending right from a parent’s device. Family Sharing also lets you share photos, a family calendar, and more to help keep everyone connected.

Get an Apple Music Family subscription

Each member of an Apple Music Family subscription gets unlimited access to the entire Apple Music catalog, music recommendations tailored to their personal music tastes, and access to their own iCloud Music Library, which makes it possible for them to listen to their music on all of their favorite devices.
One adult in the family—the family organizer—can set up Family Sharing for the group from their iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. If you turn on purchase sharing, you'll be asked to confirm that you agree to pay for purchases initiated by the family members you invite and that you have a valid payment method on file. Valid payment methods for setting up Family Sharing include credit cards and debit cards.*

After you set up Family Sharing, you can invite additional family members to join your family group.

After the invitees accept your invitation, each member of your family group will have access to Apple Music.

If you already subscribe to Apple Music

If you already subscribe to Apple Music, you can change to a Family Membership in the Music app or in iTunes on a computer. Learn how to manage your Apple Music subscription on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC, or on an Android phone.

Family purchases and payments
How iTunes Store purchases are billed​

If you have gift cards or content credits

If you use a gift card for a transaction, the amount is deducted at the time of your transaction.

When you make a purchase, content credits are used first, as long as the value of the item that you're buying is less than or equal to the value of the credits. Any gift cards are used next. If your gift card is less than the total cost of the purchase, the payment method that you have on file is billed for the remaining balance.

If you have no content credits or gift cards, the payment method that you have on file is charged for the entire purchase.

Use Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Android phone
Add and download music, shows, and movies from the Apple Music catalog​
Take care.

Dec 12, 2017 9:09 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks Brenden.

I read through the information you sent me and it didn't seem to explicitly answer my question - so just to clarify - can family member add additional payment method (i.e. add another credit card) and use that to pay for their purchases instead of mine?

Right now my cousin is asking for my 3-digit CSC number of my credit card registered to my family account (me as the organiser), not exactly secured.

Can I use Family sharing for Apple Music only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.