Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBAir12 [Recovery] : Mac OS Sierra failed to download

Hello. My MacBook instantly stopped booting up, at first I've tried to recovery SSD from the recovery partition - it fails. (But I boot from the recovery partition from ssd, so it means it's ok!) After this failure I've tried to boot - it gets to the end and screen becomes black and MacBook restarts. Then I tried to recover OS X by the reinstalling from the recovery partition (people say that all files and programs will be ok) - It says "Mac OS Sierra failed to download" every time, as I understood, Apple removed last Sierra from the App Store. OK, APPLE, Next I found the same Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2 at the internet and tried to put it on the flash drive using the official apple instruction - after boot I've got strikethrough circle. OK, OK, I've tried to download Mac OS High Sierra from the App Store, but... it downloads the 18 mb version (or near) instead of full. OK,OK,OK, I've found it in the internet and with official instruction I've tried to write it on the flash drive. The same circle. OK,OK,OK,OK, I've tried to use the internet recovery partition, but it downloads Mac OS Lion (or something near, I didn't see, but the ui look was very old) recovery partition, so if I try to recovery Mac OS here, I'll loose my data. What should I do? I'm stuck.

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), Air 2012 i5

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 11:48 PM

2 replies

Dec 10, 2017 8:17 AM in response to Vladimirus

Go back to the App Store and sign in using your Apple ID. Try downloading Sierra or High Sierra using the links below.

You can make a bootable USB stick to install using this free program which will do all the work for you.

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X oruse Apple’s method Create a bootable installer for OS

How to get macOS High Sierra

Sierra download

MBAir12 [Recovery] : Mac OS Sierra failed to download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.