Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAC 21.5 High Sierra won't boot up

After updating my Late 2013 iMac 21.5 to High Sierra it hangs on boot up process. After booting into single user verbose mode I discovered it is hanging up on opendirectoryd. Does anyone know how to fix that error?

iMac

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 1:36 AM

21 replies

Dec 18, 2017 7:12 PM in response to lrtanaka

Apple updates in general have become subpar with regards to quality control as of late. I attempted to update my iMac from 10.13.1 to 10.13.2, only to discover that I could no longer login to any account, which includes local users. Reset the PRAM with no affect towards the issue. Tried to safe boot, but again, same results.

At present I have erased my disk and have a 10+ hour restore in progress.

The included picture is the verbose boot output of an attempt to login, prior to beginning the restore.

User uploaded file

Dec 10, 2017 8:46 AM in response to lrtanaka

You didn't say if you had everything backed up. Booted into recovery run Disk Utility to repair the hard drive, if it says it repaired anything run it again until it reports that it didn't repair anything.

If that doesn't work I'd suggest erasing the boot volume reinstall Mac OS then restoring your data and apps from your known good working backup. If you still have problems I'd suggest booting into Internet Recovery completely erasing the entire hard drive and then doing the install/restore.

Dec 31, 2017 11:30 AM in response to SeaPapp

Safe mode does not work, neither does online restore....the install goes well, but the boot process has been corrupted somehow.
Please don't say, "take to Apple Store," either.
Honestly, their solution to every problem seems to be wipe and start fresh.
That is just not good enough.
This is not 2002, when the only solution was always reformatting and reinstalling.
I paid good money for a computer that does not have these problems, so wipe and restore is not bloody good enough.
I know how to dig into the OS and underlying stuff, and I am a developer, as well.
SOMEONE knows where to start to figure this out.
I would like to hear a worthy response from THAT person.

IMAC 21.5 High Sierra won't boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.