Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom date formats not available in pages

I used to be able to set custom date formats like DD.MM.YYYY in "System Preferences > Language & Region > Advanced > Dates" and then have them readily available when double clicking the Insert > Date & Time object in Pages. As of now the "Choose Date Format" drop-down yields only the standard formats, rendering this function useless for foreign language documents.

Am I overlooking a (new) setting hidden somewhere within Pages or has its functionality just degraded as it was updated?

I am on version 6.3.1 (5249). In previous versions this was not an issue.

In Microsoft Word for Mac the date formatting works like a charm, offering an abundance of formats to choose from.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 12:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 1:05 AM

Hi jogerner,

First suggestion untested, as I haven't updated to Sierra/High Sierra and Pages 6.

Custom Date Formats: Try changing the Language and Region setting for the specific document(s) to a region that uses your preferred numbers only date format.

Date formatting that "works like a charm" and offers "an abundance of formats to choose from" may, in itself, be sufficient reason to use MS Word in place of Pages 6. Use the tool that's right for the job.

Regards,

Barry

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2017 1:05 AM in response to jogerner

Hi jogerner,

First suggestion untested, as I haven't updated to Sierra/High Sierra and Pages 6.

Custom Date Formats: Try changing the Language and Region setting for the specific document(s) to a region that uses your preferred numbers only date format.

Date formatting that "works like a charm" and offers "an abundance of formats to choose from" may, in itself, be sufficient reason to use MS Word in place of Pages 6. Use the tool that's right for the job.

Regards,

Barry

Dec 10, 2017 11:02 PM in response to jogerner

I am using Pages 6.3.1 on macOS Sierra10.2.6 and I use custom dates and you appear to be right.

User uploaded file

I don't use the function much so wonder when Apple stuffed this one up?

My expectations of Pages 5 & 6 are pretty low, so am not that surprised.

If only Apple was a successful business and could afford someone in Jersey, where apparently most of their business is done these days, to quality check their software (other than their tax lawyers).

Peter

Dec 11, 2017 2:02 AM in response to jogerner

Hi jogerner,

Pages 6.3.1 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

Where do you want to insert Date & Time?

Here is a document with nonsense Lorum ipsum text, formatted in Australian English. I converted that document (and only that document) to French formatting using Menu > File > Advanced > Language & Region.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

That conversion will not apply to other documents, and it won't change your System-wide settings.

Date & Time inserted into a page header or a page footer gives these options:

User uploaded file

Date & Time inserted into a table cell allows these options in Format Panel > Cell > Data Format > Date & Time:

User uploaded file

Another question: Do you want a fixed "Time Stamp" or a dynamic NOW or TODAY date that will update?

Regards,

Ian.

Dec 10, 2017 11:12 PM in response to Barry

I have now tested your first suggestion. At first it had no effect, it took restarting Pages for the date formats to be available. So, at this point it solved my specific Question, thank you for that 🙂

Note: This will work for standard formats like DD.MM.YYYY, but still doesn't resolve the core issue, as customization is still not available.

Normally I agree fully to use "the tool that's right for the job". Pages used to be exactly that, I guess I was just not expecting regression of functionality to be a software development concept. But then again - we are living in uncertain times, aren't we 😁

Custom date formats not available in pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.