Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Rotation Bug with iPhone X on iOS 11

Hi,

I'm currently experiencing a bug where sometimes my iPhone screen wouldn't rotate in any apps (like screen lock has been activate, but it's not). The only way to fix it is to lock the phone and unlock it. Then the bug will come again after a while, I can't find a way yet to reproduce it every time.

I already try to soft reset the phone, but the bug keep appearing.

Has anyone experience this kind of bug?

Thanks for your help.

iPhone X, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 12:10 PM

Hi Brenden,

When the problem appears, it's really like the accelerometer doesn't work at all until I lock the phone and unlock it again. I could try watching a twitter video in landscape and see it not working and switch like to the message app to try the landscape keyboard or try to see my picture and rotate the screen, and it won't work until I lock and unlock it.

I might have found a solution tough. I enabled the screen rotation lock and have done a soft reset, then disabled it and again soft reset. No bugs for 24h now, the bug was very frequent like every 10-15 minutes. I hope it doesn't come back.

I'll keep you informed.

75 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 12:10 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brenden,

When the problem appears, it's really like the accelerometer doesn't work at all until I lock the phone and unlock it again. I could try watching a twitter video in landscape and see it not working and switch like to the message app to try the landscape keyboard or try to see my picture and rotate the screen, and it won't work until I lock and unlock it.

I might have found a solution tough. I enabled the screen rotation lock and have done a soft reset, then disabled it and again soft reset. No bugs for 24h now, the bug was very frequent like every 10-15 minutes. I hope it doesn't come back.

I'll keep you informed.

Jan 9, 2018 8:46 AM in response to Tobiasfl

Same issue. Please fix ios11!!! Had the iPhone since “the 3”...this is by far the biggest failure of an os release in the history of Apple! Orientation problems, message freezes every time you access it from Photos, the list goes on and on...FIX IT! $800 for and electric brick seems to be a rip-off!!

Samsung is starting to look real appealing...

Dec 11, 2017 11:15 AM in response to Tobiasfl

Hi Tobiasfl,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Community. I understand that your screen isn't rotating in some apps on your iPhone.

Are the apps that you're experiencing this in always the same apps? Has the screen rotation worked in these apps before and does it work in these apps after restarting? If this only happens in specific apps, you'll want to make sure those apps are up to date.

You've already tried some good troubleshooting like restarting to resolve this. Since it's continuing to happen, I would like you to reinstall iOS on your iPhone. This should not affect any of your data, but it is always a best practice to make sure you have a current backup in either iTunes or iCloud. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Once you have a current backup, follow the steps in the section titled "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" from the following article. These steps will reinstall iOS. Keep in mind that these steps were written for a different issue, but they will still help us isolate the situation further. If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen

Take care.

Jan 9, 2018 10:49 AM in response to fromchico

Terrible!! IPhone X screen rotation, the freezing screen in messages, sending pictures even freezes and the screen resolution is not right on do many things. This phone cost me more than a grand since I traded my iPhone 7 plus for it. I have the latest update and it is a joke!! My car stereo is having issues now too.

FIX THIS APPLE!!!!!!

Jan 9, 2018 12:30 PM in response to Tobiasfl

This worked for me after I just experienced the same issue for the first time.

I’m on an iPhone 6s with iOS 11.2.2. Couldn’t get anything to orient properly unless I locked the orientation to portrait. Recycling power didn’t help. Then I tried this work around of locking orientation and doing soft reset and immediately unlocking orientation and doing another reset.

I just noticed a new iOS update is available so will apply that and hope the problem doesn’t reappear.

Jan 29, 2018 12:53 PM in response to Tobiasfl

Yep, same issue even on a replacement iPhone X after my first one stopped working.. It commonly happens in messages, where the screen will "get stuck" in horizontal orientation until closing and re-opening messages.. It also occurs roughly 20% of the time when taking photos - they come through as if they were taken sideways or upside down. This has also happened on both iPhone X's I've had running the latest versions of iOS.

Agree it is pretty unacceptable and frustrating.

Feb 12, 2018 4:30 AM in response to Tobiasfl

Today I had the bug again. Enabling/disabling portrait orientation lock did not help this time. So I called Apple support. They are currently not aware of this problem. However they did a remote hardware check. All sensors were ok. Afterwards they reinstalled the operating system via iTunes. I will observe it the next days. Maybe the OS reinstallation fixed the issue...maybe not.

Screen Rotation Bug with iPhone X on iOS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.