Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drop Caps in iBooks Author not showing in iBooks (iPad and Macbook)

Hello support community,

I am making a book using iBooks Author (version 2.6) and have set several heading styles to use Minion Pro, Bold, and then used the typography settings to change 'lower case' letters to 'Small Capitals'. All of this works well with no problems on iBooks Author on my Macbook.

When I then export the book as an iBook and open it on my iPad Pro, the font does not show the small capitals for the lower case letters. It similarly does not show the small capitals when opening the book using iBooks on my Macbook Pro.

I am using this small capitals typography style in several heading text styles.

I would like to be able to see small capitals on the iPad version of the exported iBook on both Macbook and iPad.

Please help!

Many thanks to you in advance.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013), iOS 11.2, null

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 7:21 AM

It works fine for me, both iBooks app Mac and iBooks app iOS (iPad), I don't have an iPad Pro.

• It may be the variation of your font. I used Adobe branded OTF (see screenshot)
  • Since it's not working on iBooks Mac or iPad Pro, I'd say you can rule out iOS Support

Do you get any errors when exporting or previewing direct to iPad Pro that the font is not supported on iOS?

Important: Are you formatting from the font format toolbar or the Fonts pallet (Format>Fonts>Show Fonts), make sure you are using the format bar as shown in the screenshot below, as this will show all fonts supported.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 7:21 AM in response to szerzimex

It works fine for me, both iBooks app Mac and iBooks app iOS (iPad), I don't have an iPad Pro.

• It may be the variation of your font. I used Adobe branded OTF (see screenshot)
  • Since it's not working on iBooks Mac or iPad Pro, I'd say you can rule out iOS Support

Do you get any errors when exporting or previewing direct to iPad Pro that the font is not supported on iOS?

Important: Are you formatting from the font format toolbar or the Fonts pallet (Format>Fonts>Show Fonts), make sure you are using the format bar as shown in the screenshot below, as this will show all fonts supported.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 13, 2017 7:21 AM in response to RCAustin

Hi RCAustin,

Thanks for your help. The issue was a combination of what you stated and some other issues. Your tip to make sure that I use the format bar rather than the font palette was a big help. I was using the same version of the font (Adobe OTF).

In the end, it turns out that iBooks Author does not treat the 'small caps' set in the Typography settings the same as a capitalisation setting, as set using the 'Format / Font / Capitalisation / Small Caps' menu options.

I then had to redefine my styles and now it is working. I've been able to confirm in preview in iBooks.

Drop Caps in iBooks Author not showing in iBooks (iPad and Macbook)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.