Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intego Bootable Backup deleted all my folders on the external drive

Dear All,

I jutried to make a bootable backup with the Intego Backup Manager Pro on an external drive where 1.5 TB of files was stored and 500 GB free.

The process was running for a halp an hour when I noteced that all my folders are missing, only some new system folders are visible on the drive.

Nothing warned me that the process will delete my data.

Can anyone recommend something, how to restore my folders?

The bootable backup requires a totally empty drive??

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 12:37 PM

I jutried to make a bootable backup with the Intego Backup Manager Pro

Why? You don't need to use any non-Apple product to create a "bootable backup". Even if you choose to use something else, avoid anything from "Intego".

To create an exact copy of a startup volume, use Disk Utility:

"When you restore from one volume to another volume, it makes an exact copy of the original. For example, you can restore from your startup volume to an external volume to use as a backup."

Read Restore a disk - Apple Support.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 12:37 PM in response to Rapid123

I jutried to make a bootable backup with the Intego Backup Manager Pro

Why? You don't need to use any non-Apple product to create a "bootable backup". Even if you choose to use something else, avoid anything from "Intego".

To create an exact copy of a startup volume, use Disk Utility:

"When you restore from one volume to another volume, it makes an exact copy of the original. For example, you can restore from your startup volume to an external volume to use as a backup."

Read Restore a disk - Apple Support.

Dec 10, 2017 6:37 AM in response to Rapid123

FWIW, you could try one of the Data Recovery programs but you would need a separate drive you could restore the missing files to. Or use a data recovery service which are expensive.

The bootable backup requires a totally empty drive??

If it's not empty it will be erased. Normally you would want to use a USB flash drive for bootable installers.

Dec 10, 2017 5:10 AM in response to Rapid123

FWIW, it's too late now but this is from the Intego manual…

“Never remove anything in destination”: if you leave this unchecked, Intego Backup Manager Pro will make a perfect clone of the source volume, erasing everything on the destination in the process. By checking it, you’re saying that you want a perfect clone of the source to be created on the destination volume in addition to content that’s already there. Note that checking this box could cause trouble with your bootable backup. If you simply want to keep a folder from being deleted, you can add it as an exception.

Pays to read the manual.

Dec 10, 2017 6:37 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi Dialabrain,

Many thanks for your reply. The thing is that there is NO option to check or unceheck anything like that. 😟

I'm using Version 2.1 (2851) trial version.

There is only option to perform some action before or after backing up, nothing else.

Before High Sierra I could use the previous version that was a great one, but this version 2 is simply a crap and is super dangerous since there is no option to check and is not warning the user at all.

Intego Bootable Backup deleted all my folders on the external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.